Remote I/O Choices

I'm also looking for a less expensive alternative to the AB point IO for Ethernet I/P remote IO. Besides Wago, I'm looking at Moxa and Omron. Anyone with experience with either of these?

We just had a very troubling failure with an Advantech ADAM-6117EI analog input module, when the value read by the PLC did not update for some time. Since the input was monitoring a controlled temperature, nobody noticed the lack of change until the techs went in to calibrate the transmitter and got no response. It has been replaced with Point I/O, which will be the standard for all future expansion.

I mounted dozens of Advantech remote I/O modules, not the Ethernet/IP type but mainly Modbus.

Some of them failed, mainly due to the hard environmental conditions (mounted in industrial furnaces) but the PLC program detected the failed module then triggered an alarm, and force the variable to a safe value.

Last edited:
We just had a very troubling failure with an Advantech ADAM-6117EI analog input module, when the value read by the PLC did not update for some time. Since the input was monitoring a controlled temperature, nobody noticed the lack of change until the techs went in to calibrate the transmitter and got no response. It has been replaced with Point I/O, which will be the standard for all future expansion.

A common feature on communication with remote I/O's is that a value can be defined that variables take when they are not updated from the remote I/O. Use that feature, you have now found out first hand why it is there.

In case your remote I/O does not have this feature, you can make your own on digital remote I/O. Sacrifice one input and one output to function as a heart beat. Wire that output back to that input. Have the output alternate between high and low at a known pace. Monitor the input for this signal. You know you lost comms if the input stops alternating.

Hi,

In the factory were i am responsible for the automation system, a steel plant with over 50000 I/O points, we have to make a choice for an alternative for the Genius I/O.
We also have a water treatment plant that has more than 40 Siemens ET200M racks so with a total of 200+ I/O modules. Lots of the Siemens modules are placed outside in cabinets. In the 18 years the plant is running now, the ET200 modules never played tricks on me, only 1 24V output module failed becouse someone put 120Vac on it.

So, for the replacement of the Genius I/O the way for me is Siemens ET200MP ( or ET200SP) that is the follow up for ET200M.
Also the MP and SP series are now capable of running high speed counters in remote racks, and the analog input/output cards are capable to accept almost every kind of signal.
They are little more expensive than lot of other I/O systems but verry reliable.

only problem can be that (as far as i know) they only have Profibus or Profinet interface.

I'm also looking for a less expensive alternative to the AB point IO for Ethernet I/P remote IO. Besides Wago, I'm looking at Moxa and Omron. Anyone with experience with either of these?

I've been using Wago for several years now. I like the add-ons they've got for use with RSLogix5000 for starters.

Good Luck,

Yosi

B&R was mentioned in passing, but I think their solution is just a bit better than Beckhoff's since the only modules with any configuration to store are the communication cards (so if an IO card is damaged, it can be replaced without any configuration to do). I think the durability of B&R's IP67 modules is better than Beckhoff's, while Beckhoff's IP20 modules are a bit more rugged than B&R's. B&R's IP20 modules have removable terminal blocks, which is nice if you need to move them around while Beckhoff's have fixed terminals, so moving modules means pulling all the wires and re-landing them.

Both cover a wide range of fieldbus support and module types; both support all the major protocols and each other's protocols and each one has a few other protocols the other doesn't (B&R has an OPC UA bus controller and Beckhoff doesn't while Beckhoff has SERCOS and B&R doesn't, for example). As far as IO module diversity, both have a dizzying array of modules available, so you will definitely find everything you need.

I have a bit of experience with Wago and Festo CPX and both were a lot more difficult getting things configured and running than B&R. I never used Beckhoff as 3rd party IO, so I can't speak to configuring it.

You asked about Omron Ethernet IP remote I/O - all good - have been using them for quite some time now - have had no failures except when a cheap Korean drive went AWOL and belted a load back up an analogue output> Just works. Using with Omron CJ2M with an Ethernet IP port but as with all of these as long as the EDS file is right they just work