Grounding screened control cables

Here ya go

This is CSA's response:

Thank you for contacting CSA International.

Please be advised that CSA does not have any standards that concerns grounding of the screen in screened cable used for control cable.

I understand that the practice has been to bond both ends to ensure sound control, but this is not stipulated in any of our standards.

Regards,

I guess it's a topic that's still open for discussion. If I find anything else i will let you know.🍺

Yesterday was Pi day...
Well, yes, for those who write the date as month/day maybe.
Over here, we're still waiting for the 22nd July to come around.
22/7 is a near-enough approximation for me.

Ken

Well this is probably one of the most contentious subjects in the control industry. There is no fast rule. Your solution is defined by:

1) Potential ground difference between point A...B

2) Danger this potential difference poses to human or electronics

3) Types of noise environment. Harmonics, Neighbouring Arc ovens etc

4) Dampness of ground structure and ground composite eg. water table, Rock type formation

5) Weather conditions Electric storms

Solutions as stated is also varied pending on condition

Single ended grounding

Double sided grounding

Isolation to split two areas with high potential differences

Telemetry or radio signals if all else fails

On the end of the day what works for the particular situation is the solution. There cannot be hard and fast rules and the fixed conditions of the environment or structures and the cost of the correct solution can be prohibitive. Each case has to be analysed on its own and appropriate measures taken. Sometime it is best to bring in experts to do a ground potential analysis and is warranted or required in many instances.

Nothing beats a proper structural sound earthing system between two separate plant areas or distance buildings and can save a lot of cost and damage over years.

My practical 2c based on experience over 20 Years.

Practical examples or stories could be related here but I think that is beyond this discussion

Last edited: