Setup help CompactLogix L32E

sirhiss2

[font=‚l‚r ƒSƒVƒbƒN]Hi guys, I have just received a new AB CompactLogix L32E. It has ethernet capabilities built in. I've been trying to setup comms. with it but its not going so well. The manual said that you can connect and configure through the RJ45 (ethernet) connection. I have RSlinx classic and Rslogix 5000. enterprise is available to me as well. The manual also says that it comes with a built in communications default. Also, says that I need to download the lastest firmware from Rockwell because the plcs are not shipped with firmware??? I've tried connecting it to the back of my computer and using linx i tried a couple of ethernet drivers but i still can communicate with it. o_O What programs do I require to communicate? and could someone guide me in the right direction as to what I need to do to get communications with this plc?

Thanks,

T
[/font]

First - use the "Rockwell Software- Bootp-DHCP server" (check in programs). Connect to the CPU through a hub (if available - I found the changing IP confusing to a switch) and start the program. You will soon see BootP requests which reflect the MAC address of the CPU. Click on one of these and assign the CPU an appropriate IP address. Once you see BootP requests with the IP address you assigned appearing then disable further BootP requests (a button on the form).

Now, when you fire up RSLogix 5000 you'll have to search for the CPU. You'll see its Ethernet adapter, under that (as a child) you'll see a 'backplane'. Under that (as a child) you'll finally see the actual CPU. Click on that. A button allowing the upgrade will then be enabled.

Clicking it will show that the CPU is at a very rudimentary level (1.something), just enough intelligence to accept an upgrade. Upgrade the CPU to the latest firmware. This is VERY IMPORTANT!!! Don't let ANYTHING interfere with communications or power during this period or you may find out about 'bricks'.

After the upgrade is done it takes a couple of minutes for the CPU to reboot. Just be patient. Then you'll be set to download your latest creation.

Last edited:
Thanks I will try that tomorrow. What driver will i need to setup in linx? I was thinking the ethernet driver with the IP that I will setup using bootp?

Last edited:
Also, you will probably have to assign the IP address again after the firmware upgrade.

You can use the "Ethernet Devices" driver or the "Ethernet IP" driver. I would use the "Devices" driver because you specify which devices you want to talk with by entering the IP address.

The "Ethernet IP" driver will scan for all Ethernet IP devices. If you have a large network then you end up with a large list of devices to communicate with.

You can use either one though. Heck try them both and see which one you like.