Allen Bradley 1950M Touchscreen driver issue

autotec

It's been 2 years since I've had to ask a question on here, and that means the solutions I've found reading everything has been great.

The application is a home built CNC that runs a XP machine with a old AB PLC for spindle and dust control operations. I learn as I go and read alot, so like I said in the past, sorry about my lack of knowledge on this subject. You guys blow me away with what you know.

I have been running a Panel View 1000 (cat.# 2711P-T10C4D8) as a second touchscreen monitor (running a VNC app) and recently got a good deal on a AB 1950M (cat.# 6176M-19VT) to replace it. I figured it would be a simple swap, but I was wrong.

It works great as a Monitor, but for the life of me, I cannot get the Monitor to see the USB connection for touchscreen operation when I try to install the driver. It keeps telling me that it will not install the USB driver without the cable connection. Purchased another USB cable, but I have the same problem. I have not tried to run the RS-232 cable, but I'm betting I would have the same issue.

I've triple checked to make sure I have the proper driver, even tried to install a few other brands drivers that use the same touchscreen interface module. Still no luck.

Am I missing something simple, or maybe purchased a defective monitor?

Any help would be great. Thanks, Justin

These things can be quite tricky.

What version and architecture of XP. (Service Pack/32bit or 64 bit)

Does your driver match this version of windows and architecture? Note that the XP --> Vista --> 7 era was marked by lots of driver issues early on, and this monitor seems to be from about this generation/era.

Make sure you disable XP from searching windows update for drivers. There is a known issue with XP choosing the incorrect driver as "the best" driver for your system using the add hardware wizard and repeating this on reboot. It is real pain to deal with and only happens on certain hardware. I can't remember the procedure but some googling should get you there. You basically remove the XP system file for the generic driver, XP can't find a driver and then you point it to the proper driver in the device manager.

Make sure you follow this process. Uninstall driver, delete the actual driver files, reboot. Windows should be unable to find a driver. Manually add the driver yourself and reboot.

If you need to try other USB ports then you will want to uninstall, reboot, install with new port, reboot. It seems redundant, and it isn't always necessary but you don't want to get hung up on it.

Finally, if that doesn't work use a serial cable, and we can provide assistance on choosing or making the right cable if it comes to that. Good luck!

PS: If you have a laptop or something, I suggest trying the monitor/touchscreen on the laptop just to see if it is in fact the touchscreen hardware.

Well I tried everything that was recommended and it was a no go with the USB. Just in case, I picked a serial cable up on the way home, I installed the cable and reinstalled the driver. Same problem. This time I clicked on the "touch screen utility' icon on the desktop and nothing happens. Now I'm wondering if everything is getting installed. I'm scratching my head, this shouldn't be this hard.

I also tried everything on my laptop and got the same results. I have to be missing a step here.