How to count any particule address bit of Siemens PLC?

Asif Iqbal

Dear Friends,
i want to count address bit (like M390.0) used in my whole project of siemens PLC.
i can count it from cross reference but i want it to count automatically when ever any one add this bit any where in project.
mean there should be any up counter which should shows that how many time currently this address bit is used in whole project.
i hope i clear my problem.
any one please help me

situation is like that,
we use one memory bit to bypass any input of PLC temporary in order to make system running, we call this by pass the input. every shift use this bypass bit to bypass if they require it. we want to see how many input bit of PLC is currently bypass..
Thanks

I have an idea...

Use the bypass bit (like M390.0, as you said) to set a new bit at the beginning of OB1, and to set a new integer to 0.
Make a new network after each network where the bit M390.0 is used, and use the new bit to add 1 to the new integer. (You could make this a new FC block, if you wish)
At the end of OB1, reset the new bit.

This would mean, if you add new logic with your bypass bit, you should also add logic with the new bit to add 1 to the new integer.

Last edited:
situation is like that,
we use one memory bit to bypass any input of PLC temporary in order to make system running, we call this by pass the input. every shift use this bypass bit to bypass if they require it. we want to see how many input bit of PLC is currently bypass..
Thanks

I was being a bit sarcastic... and although I understand what you are trying to do, I must say that it is an extremely poor practice and can lead to catastrophic results as this seems to be a regular event instead of something that happens once in 10 or so years.
I would instead focus on solving the problem with the system and perhaps add a reasonable solution where things are bypassed separately and through a screen with login credentials. This would then allow you to know exactly what and why something is bypassed.

To help track down what is being forced, create a db (say DB888) containing enough booleans to match your inputs. Where an input needs to be forced (say I36.0), use DB888.DBX36.0 in parallel with the inputs and turn the individual bits on in the DB to force the input. For I78.4 use DB888.DBX78.4 etc.
You need to impart this method to your shift people so they all take the same approach to forcing.

You can then count/examine the contents of DB888 and/or do an xref on DB888 to find all your possible forces.

If you do a cross reference listing for that bit or a 'go to location' it will show you all the places it is used. You could count it from this list. Automatic listing, but manual counting...

EDIT: It sounds to me like the OP has a dedicated 'bypass bit' they use in the logic and want to be able to find all locations. I may be way off though.