Windows 10 Virtual platform.

trueninjalo

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good morning staff,
I have recently started a new role with a systems integrator. I will be working on several projects for several customers. I recently purchased a new laptop and I am curious about which Virtual machine I should run. All licsences will be stored locally to the computer. I have a toolkit that has pretty much all of the rockwell suite but I dont plan on having everything installed.
the new Laptop is here:
https://us.msi.com/Workstation/WS63VR-Quadro-P4000
initial software will be:
Factory talk activation, gateway and tools
RSLogix 5 V8
RSLogix 500 V10
RSLogix 5k V16-20
Studio 5k V21-30
AOIs
RSNetworx
Bootp
and assorted tools

I have tried to find recent posts but none seem current with the latest OS updates. Is there any other info that would help? I also read something about having Linx and Activation on the host OS and this would help when using multiple Virtual machines for different customer set ups.

Thank you in advance,
Respectfully,
Anthony

I use VirtualBox, have done for years. My host OS is a linux based distribution and I've got a separate VM for each manufacturer's software and a separate one for the SCADA package I use.

We use VMware and run all programming software on a windows 7 vm.
some systems running windows 7 have the licenses on the hard drive.

our logix 5000 and 5000 studio licenses are on a server.
all other licenses are on the vm.

we have a backup of the vm as a safety.
if the hard drive dies, put in a new hard drive, install windows, copy the vm
to the new hard drive, if questioned, you moved it and your running.
no reinstall of programs and licenses.

Windows 10 is practically new and may not work with all ab products.

regards,
james

James, what is your host OS?

Jonnie and James, do either of you run FT Activation Manager and RSlinx on the host OS?

James,
If the hard drive died, it is usually associated with the Hard drive serial number, don't you lose that?

Thanks
George

I use VMWare as well. Works pretty well. When I was researching I came across some licensing issues with using USB and VirtualBox.

VMWare user here - Everything is on Win 7 Virtual Machines with Win10 host.

As stated, you can be up and running again in a few minutes if you keep your VM's backed up to an external drive.

there are no licensing issues with USB and virtualbox. you might have to download the extension pack. I approached oracle to buy a license for virtualbox and they said unless I wanted 500 licenses not to bother them, but of course you are on your own for support too.

The thing you have to watch though is that the extension pack is not free for commercial use. Even if they don't want to be bothered to sell you a license, you cannot use it for commercial purposes. And without it, you lose an awful lot of capability.

OG

trueninjalo,

one system is windows 7, 64 bit, 8 gb ram, running vmplayer
another is windows 10, 64 bit, 64 gb ram vmworkstation pro

we have started using an activation server for logix 5000 and studio.
we have a snapshot of it in case the hard drive dies, replace the drive and restore the snapshot.

George,

the vm is the hard drive serial number. if the host hard drive dies.
replace the drive, load windows, copy the vm back, and say you moved it if your are questioned. you are up and running.

james

I use VMWare and find it rock solid. Running on an OSX host so I can't store my licenses on the host - I have a "main" Rockwell VM (Windows 7 64 bit) which has my activations, and if I need to use one of the others I just boot them both up together and the second VM gets the license from the first VM. Plus, there's the 7 day grace period, so if I have to I can shut my main VM down once the other VM has picked up the license, and carry on for 7 days before I need to boot it back up to register it again.