Old subject 1747-pic using sp3, last attempt

KAYDADOG1

Working with dmroeder to get a AB PIC adapter to work under Windows using SP3 update. Installed his SP3 fix file and still can not get RSlinx to load and run the PIC driver. Using Dell D810 laptops with a true serial port. Currently reloaded a system with Windows SP1 and the PIC driver loaded and ran the first time. Couldn't get a SP2 file that would load. Loaded the SP3 file and have the same issues. Per dmroeder this should have worked but for some reason it doesn't. Prefer to run the SP3 update just to run the latest features.

Looking for anybody that has had this issue in the past and was able to fix the problem.
Thank You

Using RSlinx 2.42 and 3.7 same results.
RS500 version 7.00.
RSlinx needs to run the driver first before RS500 will allow any driver to be selected.

Old subject 1747-pic using sp3

The PIC being able to run under Windows SP3 is the issue. Currently have the UIC adapter which will connect to a PV550 I wanted to possible use for a project. Not a problem the UIC definitely is the way to go.
The problem is with trying to use the PV firmware download program which will only recognize a serial port at com1. The UIC runs on USB com3.
If anyone knows how to get the firmware download program to recognize a USB port then I'm open to suggestions.
I only need a fix for trying to get the PIC to work under Windows SP3.
If it should work then what's stopping it from being loaded?
Thank You

Last edited:
You know you can change the com assignment in windows
example usb adaptor comes up as com 15 just edit that to be com 1
under hardware properties com ports

You know you can change the com assignment in windows
example usb adaptor comes up as com 15 just edit that to be com 1
under hardware properties com ports

+1

Control Panel > Device Manager > 'Ports' header

If a device is already assigned as COM1, change it to another (unused) port #, and change your PIC driver to COM1. Right click properties, under Port Settings tab, click on advanced.

Comport.jpg

Old subject 1747-pic using sp3

Everyone is correct you can change the comm port designations under port Advanced settings.
Using the Panelview firmware download program it will not recognize a USB port assigned COM1 as a serial port. Needs to be a true serial port.

Did some testing with Windows SP1 and the PIC driver loaded and is running. The problem now is the PIC adapter does not communicate directly to the PV550 DH485 PORT. Not sure why this isn't communicating. Need to check if AIC adapter needs to be added.

The UIC driver will not install in RSlinx 2.42 running under Windows SP2.
Currently runs under RSlinx 3.7 running under Windows SP3.

Thank You

The UIC driver will not install in RSlinx 2.42 running under Windows SP2.
Currently runs under RSlinx 3.7 running under Windows SP3.

You will use DF1 driver and manually configure it, before they came out with the UIC driver you needed to use the DF1.... you also use the DF1 on Windows 64bit machines when running on a native machine

Pic to pv550 communication

Mickey, thank you for the PDF files. That's what I was looking for. The AB site will only allow me limited access to their knowledge base.
I realized the PIC was going to require power but didn't know the correct cabling.
I was able to connect the AIC module to the PV550 and was able to upload or download a problem, something finally worked using the PIC driver setup.
The only issue know is uploading a newer firmware revision using the file transfer utility.
The following message appears:
RESET PANELVIEW TO START FIRMWARE DOWNLOAD - NETWORK TRAFFIC DETECTED.
These old setups just aren't easy. The AIC is directly connected to the laptop com1 and from the AIC to the PV550 DH485 port. Nothing else is connected on the communication link. Why I'm getting the NETWORK TRAFIC DETECTED message now is the problem to solve.
I will be trying the PIC adapter setup. I will connect to a PLC to feed power thru the PV550 to the PIC module.
Thank You

Mickey, thank you for the PDF files. That's what I was looking for. The AB site will only allow me limited access to their knowledge base.
I realized the PIC was going to require power but didn't know the correct cabling.
I was able to connect the AIC module to the PV550 and was able to upload or download a problem, something finally worked using the PIC driver setup.
The only issue know is uploading a newer firmware revision using the file transfer utility.
The following message appears:
RESET PANELVIEW TO START FIRMWARE DOWNLOAD - NETWORK TRAFFIC DETECTED.
These old setups just aren't easy. The AIC is directly connected to the laptop com1 and from the AIC to the PV550 DH485 port. Nothing else is connected on the communication link. Why I'm getting the NETWORK TRAFIC DETECTED message now is the problem to solve.
I will be trying the PIC adapter setup. I will connect to a PLC to feed power thru the PV550 to the PIC module.
Thank You

https://www.google.com/search?q=RES...ED&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I did verify that the PIC adapter will communicate with the PV550.
Currently supplying power from the processor.
Per your link previously found articles on this subject but something is still missing. Not everything was explained.
First for the firmware utility program to allow you to select com1 for download RSlinx must be stopped.
Second, still get the NETWORK TRAFFIC DETECTED MESSGE. Cycling power on the PV550 will not clear this issue.
Third, with the processor on the communication link will probable cause this current issue.
Fourth, the one article talked about using the PIC connected to the AIC adapter which will supply power. I've not found out how to make this connection or if it is possible.
Fifth, I don't know if the dedicated AB power adapter would fix the issue but not about to buy one.
Six, If all these issues would have occurred while on a project 15 years ago I would have been on the phone with AB to rectify the problem immediately.

Verified some things that work and what doesn't. Still some grey areas to get everything to communicate. Still not giving up.
Thank You

I believe one of the articles (first one) talked about using a memory card to upgrade the firmware. Might be an option.