Problems with 1747-UIC

wdp

I have used the 1747-PIC and 1784-PCM4 to access DH485 networks point to point and from the 1747-AIC easily for some years. When I updated to a new laptop without a RS232 port or PCMCIA slot, I turned to the 1747 UIC. I can communicate with any of the SLCs point to point but not thru the AIC at any of the DH485 networks of my clients. I have used various versions of RSLINX and RSLOGIX 500, and it makes no difference. I am up to version 3.74 of RSLINX and version 10 RSLOGIX 500. Does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks for the response. Of course I have gone over the info for the UIC many times, gone to AB website and downloaded the newest driver, but the result is the same: no problem point to point with a AB 501 thru 503 using the rs485, RJ45 cable(1747-C13) or a AB503 channel 0 using the UIC's RS232 cable. The problem is I can't communicate with the 1747-AIC, meaning I can't look network wide. All the plc websites I been to show using the UIC point to point, but I have seen none showing the UIC communicating with an AIC. I have 2 1747=UICs: the earlier gray one with detachable cables and the black one where the cables are fixed.

Not all UIC's are made the same, the black one is not made by Allen Bradley and early versions of our aftermarket will not work with the AIC's and the China ones will not, our newest black one will and work great, so it depends on how old the black one is and where you got it from.

The Allen Bradley one should work unless its broke... if someone used a crossover cable with a SLC it would of fried the UIC but you said it works on the SLC then it should be fine with the AIC

So... I would stop using the black one and dont worry about RSLogix 500, just use the white Allen Bradley one and RSLinx, once you can see the node you can move on from there

Thanks for the input. When you say our newest black one, I presume you mean sold on this website. If so, I'll purchase one.
It does seem to me that the gray UIC with the AB logo on it behaved the same as the black one, but I'll check again, one of my company's other guys is using it. Again, thanks for the input.

The gray and black one (older) will seem the same but the black one will not work with the AIC

This is our newest one and does work with AIC's (we make after market cables) https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-1747-uic-usb-to-dh485-usb-version-1747-pic-slc-500/

We also sell the original AB cable https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-1747-uic-usb-to-dh485-original-factory-sealed/

But the gray one should (with the AB logo) work fine, there is a aftermarket knock off, looks the same as the AB cable but does not have the AB logo... its made out of China and I have not tried one to see if it works with anything