Change the physical order of EtherCAT slaves

Hello
Generally, the order of EtherCAT slaves in my configuration matches how the slaves are physically connected.
Before I wade through a million settings, is it possible to give addresses to each slave, so I can happily expect to see them in any order?
I can certainly assign addresses, but thus far the physical order seems to be fixed.
Thank you
Pp

Hi, the last two times I used etherCat I had to address them in my tree to match the way they were hooked up. In a sense I could not connect them (like a star configuration) it seemed I had to connect them in a (linear ) fashion. What setting changed this I am curious.
Thanks.

Hello Bill
EtherCAT still requires the linear topology; you can't 'star' without using a branching unit, or also called an EtherCAT junction (it looks like a switch, but it's not a switch). They aren't transparent to the network, either. The need to be part of the configuration.

My Editor (Codesys V3) has a facility to write a specific EtherCAT address to the slave's eeprom. In my case though, one of the slaves had address rotary switches and these over-rode the eeprom setting.

Settings were as-you'd-expect after this. Let me know if you'd like any screenshots (if Codesys V3 is your thing)
Pp