Sending analog signal from one point to another using PLC

gstojcin

Maybe somebody can help me with this one!
I have to pick up an analog signal from a water level probe and send it through fiber optic (singlemode) some 4-5Km to a control station and get an analog signal again, process the signal and return ti back the same way. Can it be done with PLC, if possible, which PLCs can I use, I know I can only get ABB's and Moeller's (maybe Siemens) PLC's in my country!

All sugestions are welcome, I'm looking for any (any at all) possible solution.

Can I take analog signal into PLC's analog input, convert it to digital and send it by media convertor (such as Fast ethernet bridge) through fiber? And on the other side can I use a PLC to receive digital signal, convert it to analog and process it?

It has to be fiber, it's layed together with a 20kV cable in the same trench! This is for a small hydro power plant, one end of the fiber is in the machine building(next to water reservoir) and the othe end is two Km's down the hill in the control building.

This depends on the type of PLC you are using. First of all you will need to determine what sort of inter-plc communications that your PLC's support. If they support RS232 then you will need to find a RS232 to Fibre Converter, if they support RS485 you will need an RS485 to Fibre converter. Basically the answer would be YES but you will need to provide more detail if you want a more detailed response.

Does it have to be done via Fiber? How about wireless? The Banner Engineering DX70 kits will take the analog signal in at the tank / Node and re-create the analog output back at the Gateway where your PLC is located. Distance may be an issue depending on terrain but the Site Survey capabilities is built in to the Banner SureCross products. Here is a link to this on their website.

Banner SureCross Wireless IO Network

They have a new Starter Kit for discrete IO that is only $295.

Banner Dev Starter Kit

Joe_WaZoo

That's an excellent solution Joe, but I can't use it because of the terrain config. I'll keep it in mind for future solutions (where applicable).
Thanks anyway!

Why not use ethernet fiber switches on each end? Put an ethernet or ethernet/IP based RIO device on the network. Skip converting it back to analog if possible, and read it digitally into the PLC if that is an option.

If this data is mission critical, then don't put it on your plant office network.

If it is not, then you may be able to use the switch and fiber for more generic PC-type purposes additionally.

A/B makes Flex IO for Ethernet/IP.

I believe AD has something very simiilar and for much le$$.