What is FT Services Platform?

whirlair

So, I went to install Factor Talk View ME which requires Factory Talk Services Platform, and I started to wonder what exactly this does. I have never used it (knowingly). What is it? Is it for clients?

I have only installed RS Logix 500, RS Logix 5000, Panel Builder, and RS Linx Classic so far, and my computer is still fast (LOL). My last computer had more HMI software, and with 80 processes running it was slower than ****. I'm just trying to understand why I need this "extra" **** that will undoubtedly run in the background forever robbing me of time.

Luckily I now have a separate PC for Siemens.

Thanks

PS. I tried to read about it on the AB website, but it just described the features and had no information on how or why to use it (in a strictly design environment).

Last edited:
The FactoryTalk® Services Platform is the foundation of the
FactoryTalk Integrated Production and Performance Suite. The
FactoryTalk Services Platform is composed of software
components or services that are used by more than one product.
These shared software services form a Services Oriented
Architecture (SOA), enabling applications to be developed that
share definitions, administration and real-time data.
The features provided by the FactoryTalk Services Platform are
grouped by the value they provide to both you and adopting
products. FactoryTalk Security and Activation enables centralized
management of users and licenses. FactoryTalk Directory enables
the sharing of common definitions like users, tags, alarms or
graphic displays. FactoryTalk Diagnostics and Audit provides
common message formats, storage and viewing along with
tracking of changes made in an application. FactoryTalk Live Data
enables real-time communication between hardware and software
as well as third-party OPC data server connectivity. FactoryTalk
Alarms and Events provides industry-leading alarm definition and
management for a unified hardware and software system.

You need to install RSLinx Enterprise.

FTSP covers several things but the most pertinent and visible use for View ME applications is that it gives you the security capabilities. User Accounts, Login/Logout, Security Policy (password complexity and re-use), Login restrictions.

There are other purposes as well but these are the most obvious.

OG

I have only installed RS Logix 500, RS Logix 5000, Panel Builder, and RS Linx Classic so far, and my computer is still fast (LOL). My last computer had more HMI software, and with 80 processes running it was slower than ****. I'm just trying to understand why I need this "extra" **** that will undoubtedly run in the background forever robbing me of time.

Don't worry about any services loaded. Unless a service is misbehaving, the only thing it will affect is the bootup time of windows. Too many websites and self-proclaimed 'experts' advise on how to 'Speed up Windows' by 'Turning Off Services', or 'Disabling Virtual Memory'... it's all a complete crock.

Services are loaded at boot time, depending on the boot profile selected, then 'parked' and usually offloaded from active memory until they are called for.

If you really really want to bother disabling them selectively based on a boot profile, do this:

1 -- Right Click 'My Computer', select Properties.
2 -- Go to 'Hardware' tab, select 'Hardware Profiles' button.
3 -- Copy the default profile to another, rename the new one "No HMI", or, "No Rockwell",
or whatever. Save it and leave the system properties box.
4 -- Go to "Start | Run...", type in "Services.msc".
5 -- For each service you want to control, right click to get the service properties,
go to the 'Log On' tab, pick your desired hardware profile, and enable/disable it.

If you want to see just how much a service is 'Slowing Down' your computer, open up task manager, go to processes, then go to the "View" menu, pick "Select Columns", and check off "CPU Time". That gives a good overview of just how much 'Time' is being stolen by various processes.

Don't worry about any services loaded. Unless a service is misbehaving, the only thing it will affect is the bootup time of windows. Too many websites and self-proclaimed 'experts' advise on how to 'Speed up Windows' by 'Turning Off Services', or 'Disabling Virtual Memory'... it's all a complete crock.

Services are loaded at boot time, depending on the boot profile selected, then 'parked' and usually offloaded from active memory until they are called for.

If you really really want to bother disabling them selectively based on a boot profile, do this:

3 -- Copy the default profile to another, rename the new one "No HMI", or, "No Rockwell",
5 -- For each service you want to control, right click to get the service properties,
go to the 'Log On' tab, pick your desired hardware profile, and enable/disable it.

If you want to see just how much a service is 'Slowing Down' your computer, open up task manager, go to processes, then go to the "View" menu, pick "Select Columns", and check off "CPU Time". That gives a good overview of just how much 'Time' is being stolen by various processes.

I have never tried that hardware profile method. I'll look into that. Although I have to disagree about software like this not taking up memory and some CPU power unless it's being used. Before my HD crash, my last system (same computer) was extremely slow. The only difference was that I had more AB software installed. It gets really bad if you put AB and Siemens stuff on the same PC.

Thanks

I have never tried that hardware profile method. I'll look into that. Although I have to disagree about software like this not taking up memory and some CPU power unless it's being used. Before my HD crash, my last system (same computer) was extremely slow. The only difference was that I had more AB software installed. It gets really bad if you put AB and Siemens stuff on the same PC.

Thanks

I'd venture a guess that the HDD has been on it's way out, and was slowing down the system due to lots of bad sectors, causing multiple seeks per I/O operation.

Siemens Step 7 and other tools can be a bear, but I've got a laptop with Step 7, WonderWare Development, RSView32 Development, RSView SE Studio, Logix 5, 500, 5000, GE Proficy ME, and have no speed problems.

I'd venture a guess that the HDD has been on it's way out, and was slowing down the system due to lots of bad sectors, causing multiple seeks per I/O operation.

Siemens Step 7 and other tools can be a bear, but I've got a laptop with Step 7, WonderWare Development, RSView32 Development, RSView SE Studio, Logix 5, 500, 5000, GE Proficy ME, and have no speed problems.

Thanks again, but that wasn't the case. I dropped the laptop, after that it was MUCH slower lol.

I just installed FT View Studio ME. I have 5-6 new processes running in the background now. Oh well. Thanks for the info on Services.

Good advice regarding dealing with services. In most cases well behaved services only eat up RAM and boot time. Throwing memory at the problem in this day and age is often cost effective

However, I question your first paragraph in general. A service is a long running executable. Some will necessarily impact performance - like a virus scanner that slows down I/O operations. I have seen others (HMI/industrial software coes to mind) that adversely affect system performance (a side effect of crappy code)...

There's no reason to run services that you don't need running on your machine. If nothing else, they provide security vulnerabilities. On my laptop these are various database systems that I play with periodically.

Now all that said, I agree with your message - on your production machines, if you don't know what the service is, DON'T MESS WITH IT.

A service does nothing except sit and wait for a request by another application (or service). If nothing is using the feature set provided by a service, it sits idle and dormant.

Where are you getting your information?

A service is a program that runs as a background application, usually starts automatically and doesn't have a user interface. It's written to handle specific API events (such as a "stop", "start" and "pause" request from Windows). What's to say that it doesn't do anything? It is executing code.

Consider RSLinx running as a service. It's constantly communicating with your PLCs - not sitting dormant. Or database or web servers that run as services...

A service does nothing except sit and wait for a request by another application (or service). If nothing is using the feature set provided by a service, it sits idle and dormant.

Last edited:
Not to mention many services require supportive applications that run with no GUI. Especially interfacing software. After installing FT View I have apps running in the background like EventServer, etc. Also with the new AB activations, FTactivationboost runs in the background constantly using up memory.

It's safe to say that every time you install a new piece of AB/Rockwell software you will get more junk running in the background. A lot of the development software is almost identical to server/client software which is designed to constantly run.

Where are you getting your information?

A service is a program that runs as a background application, usually starts automatically and doesn't have a user interface. It's written to handle specific API events (such as a "stop", "start" and "pause" request from Windows). What's to say that it doesn't do anything? It is executing code.

Consider RSLinx running as a service. It's constantly communicating with your PLCs - not sitting dormant. Or database or web servers that run as services...