Controlnet

tietsortr

Can anyone give me some information on switching over from controlnet to Ethernet. Rslogix 5000 version 19. Do you have to use Rsnetwork or can you delete the controlnet in the the program and just add an ethernet module. The plant has a lot of trouble with comm loss and is trying to switch over to ethernet. I'm not working on this but from what I gather is you cant just delete the controlnet from the program and add the ethernet module. If anyone has any information on this I would appreciate it.

Just delete the ControlNet IO, and put it back in as Ethernet/IP IO. You will have to re-address remote rack IO, but it isn't that big a deal, and if thought through, you can do global substitutions in an external text editor. A programming editor that supports XML well can really help there.

I carried out this task earlier this year, as we had a 1756 rack and numerous Flex racks on Controlnet for one PLC. You do need to remove, replace and remap the I/O, delete the ControlNet file. I ensured I kept the same rack names for the new Ethernet Racks.

It all depends how your PLC I/O is setup.

Our system was not great, but I managed the task over a few days head-scratching and testing.

I have written a procedural document for what I actually did, which you can have, but it is too large to post here because of the screenshots. Drop me a PM and I can send it to you.

Just delete the ControlNet IO, and put it back in as Ethernet/IP IO. You will have to re-address remote rack IO, but it isn't that big a deal, and if thought through, you can do global substitutions in an external text editor. A programming editor that supports XML well can really help there.

Or export it as a .L5K, and use a nice (Notepad++) text editor.