PanelView plus not showing in transfer utility

phuz

PanelView Plus 7 1500 F/W v9

What would cause one person be able to see the PV in the transfer utility but not another? I have a guy on site doing some troubleshooting and he's not able to see the PV, although he can ping it. I had no problem accessing it yesterday on my laptop.

A successful 'Ping' is not necessarily a confirmation that the PC is on the same subnet as the PVP7 terminal.

The PC will need to be on the same subnet as the HMI terminal in order for the RSLinx Enterprise utility to be able to 'discover' it.

If the PC is indeed 'located' on the same subnet as the PVP7 then the running versions of Linx Enterprise and FTSP (FactoryTalk Services Platform) might be too 'low' for being able to communicate with a newer type of terminal firmware.

For communicating with a PVP7 FWR 9.00, the minimum version of FTSP needs to be 2.73 and RSLinx Enterprise needs to be at 5.73.

I logged into his computer and restarted Linx enterprise and FTView studio. It still wouldn't find the PV by auto-browsing, but under Linx enterprise, I added it manually and it was able to communicate. Never saw that behavior before, but at least it worked.

The transfer utility uses Linx Enterprise, which usually means you need to manually add the Panelview to the list first. If he right clicks the top of the list of hardware on the comm driver and selects "add device", he should be able to find the PanelView model under Ethernet IP devices, add it, and type in the IP address.

If he can ping it, he should have no issues after adding it to the comm tree.

The transfer utility uses Linx Enterprise, which usually means you need to manually add the Panelview to the list first. If he right clicks the top of the list of hardware on the comm driver and selects "add device", he should be able to find the PanelView model under Ethernet IP devices, add it, and type in the IP address.

If he can ping it, he should have no issues after adding it to the comm tree.

Yes...just noted that above. I've never had to add a PanelView Plus manually. My Linx Enterprise was always able to auto-browse it as well as any other Ethernet/IP devices.

Ah I see you figured it out right before I submitted. I should have taken my high school typing classing more seriously.

Hi guys,

I have the same issue and I've manually added the same Panel View in my RSLinx Enterprise as appears on my RSLinx Classic. When I go to my ME Transfer Utility and try to download into that PVP, it gives the error,"The System cannot find the path specified". Can you please help me with this issue?

m.saimriaz said:
... I go to my ME Transfer Utility and try to download into that PVP, it gives the error,"The System cannot find the path specified"...

When downloading, that specific message is referring to the path for the MER file that you wish to transfer to the PanelView terminal, and is not reffering to the communications path you have manually configured to the terminal.

Where is the MER file you wish to transfer being stored? If it is on a network drive, or removable media (USB), or even if it stored on the Windows Desktop, you may receive this error. If stored on any of the above, then try moving or copying it to a valid location on your local hard disk drive, and then try again.

Regards,
George

When downloading, that specific message is referring to the path for the MER file that you wish to transfer to the PanelView terminal, and is not reffering to the communications path you have manually configured to the terminal.

Where is the MER file you wish to transfer being stored? If it is on a network drive, or removable media (USB), or even if it stored on the Windows Desktop, you may receive this error. If stored on any of the above, then try moving or copying it to a valid location on your local hard disk drive, and then try again.

Regards,
George
Hi Geospark,
I was running ME Transfer Utility in my VM and the MER file was in my shared location. I moved it to the default directory of MER files and it worked.
Thanks for your help.

Hi All. I am experiencing a similar problem to this thread. But different.

I have recently updated from FTView 7 to FTView 11.

Referring to Attachment 2; FTView communication screen .png

I am not able to see the panelview.
Note: I am looking for Panelview plus 1000.
IP: 192.168.1.162

On the other hand, Logix5000 can see the panelview.
Referring to attachment 1; Logix5000 screen.

This is the same computer. So the default gateway (192.168.1.1) is the same.

I am viewing the RSLinx connections in Logix 5000 because for some reason, i have been unable to open RSLinx since the upgrade. I will be contacting AB for assistence for this in the near future, but for now, i need to get the panelview sorted.

History:
1. I have communicated with the panelview before the FTView upgrade to V11. I was using V6 trial version at the time.
2. I know RSLinx is running in the background because my Logix5000 is able to communicate with my PLC no worries.
3. This is my first attempt at downloading a runtime since the upgrade. I was not successful because i could not see the panel.
4. I am able to ping the panelview using the same computer.
Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I cannot action any RSLinx suggestions until i resolve the RSLinx not opening issue. But i am happy to resolve this issue first thing in the morning if it is necessary to resolve the FTView issue.

Logix5000 Screen.png FTView communication Screen.png

Last edited:

I am viewing the RSLinx connections in Logix 5000 because for some reason, i have been unable to open RSLinx since the upgrade. I will be contacting AB for assistence for this in the near future, but for now, i need to get the panelview sorted.

History:
1. I have communicated with the panelview before the FTView upgrade to V11. I was using V6 trial version at the time.
2. I know RSLinx is running in the background because my Logix5000 is able to communicate with my PLC no worries.
3. This is my first attempt at downloading a runtime since the upgrade. I was not successful because i could not see the panel.

I cannot action any RSLinx suggestions until i resolve the RSLinx not opening issue. But i am happy to resolve this issue first thing in the morning if it is necessary to resolve the FTView issue.

Add it manually under the communication tab. Then it will show in the transfer utility.

History:

Hi,

I will try to explain this without using screen shots, but if you need some I can post them later.

Your first attachment shows RSLinx Classic (I think)
Your second attachment shows RSLinx Enterprise as used by FT Studio ME.
These are different.

What you will need to do, as described above, is manually add the Panelview to RSLinx Enterprise.

Right click on Ethernet,Ethernet and select "Add Device"
A "Add Device Selection" window will appear - look for EthernetIP Devices

Scroll down through the list...and it is a big list.. until you can find the Panelviews.. I guess that you are using a Panelview Plus 7..Pick a firmware version, and then add in the IP address manually.

I am sure that it never used to be like this - you used to be able to browse to a Panelview.
These days I find that you have to add them in manually.

Hope this helps
Ian