Upgrade Ab Program from AI to logix 500

RichardB

Guys,

I have an older machine that has an AB 1747-L532C/D 5/03 CPU, according to rsLogix 500. I need to make a small change to the program and don't have AI.

I imported the AI program and it seems to be right. I don't have a printout so verification will need to taker place when I go online.

My questions:
Will I be able to go online without downloading the program?
Will I need to upgrade the firmware of the processor?
What are the chances that the program didn't convert properly? There were no errors after it opened.
It's hooked up to a Panelview, will I need to reset that back up?

I've worked with a few micrologix processors but never a SLC. Just trying to figure out everything that could go wrong with this.

Rich

My questions:
Will I be able to go online without downloading the program?

Yes

Will I need to upgrade the firmware of the processor??

Only if you need to use features found in a newer revision.

What are the chances that the program didn't convert properly? There were no errors after it opened.?

When you go online, if there are differences between your offline copy and the running copy, RSLogix will warn you and you will then need to create a new file or merge the upload with the comments and symbols from your exisitng one. If RSLogix won't let you merge with the file you have created because it has a different processor name, let us know and we can guide you through the steps to export and import the database with the comments.

Either way, once that's done, and you have saved a copy of the running file, RSLogix won't give you that warning the next time you go online.

It's hooked up to a Panelview, will I need to reset that back up??

No, the act of merely connecting and saving the program should not affect any of the communication settings. If you have to unplug the panelview to use the same port, then you will have errors on the panelview until you get finished and reconnect it. It is possible for the PLC program to detect the missing panelview and stop your machine, but that is very rarely done except with a Panelview on Remote I/O.

Paul

Last edited: