SLC 500 lost program

Sparky

Got an interesting one for every one. I have recently been programming ASCII to String to integer files on a AB SCL 500 with RSLOGIX versio 5.20.00. Well every thing was working good, scanner PLC and robot. Then after the production run the robot and SLC was shut down for standard preventive maintenace. When the SLC came back online their was an error IF39H Invalid string length ST31, and the program had been dumped. After getting the program back into it. I found the it was back in System mode, and the baud rate was changed from 9600to 19200. This happened on a Sunday and I wasn't here unfortunatly. so every thing that I am passing on is second hand information.
Some info Stirng file= ST29 ASCII file=A9, integer file from string=N34
here are my questions:
1. Is it normal when downloading the progam back to the SCL for the Channel configuration to change back to default?
2. Why would I get that error and it dump the program?
3. Why does it specify ST31 when I don't even have a file 31 and my String file is ST29?

Any enlightenment would be great guys. This last project of mine has been really sraining thank goodness it is almost to a close.

when you say:
... SLC was shut down ...
can you tell us just how that was done? ... specifically, is there just one big high-voltage disconnect switch on the machine and someone just threw the switch off? ... sometimes this causes a problem when a control transformer is used to convert the high-voltage power into 120 volts for the processor ... do you have a UPS and/or a surge suppressor on the processor's power input line? ... is the processor PROPERLY grounded? ... are you using a memory module (EEPROM) on this processor? ... is this a recurring "it always messes up" type problem ... or is it a "usually it's ok - just one time it went nuts" type of situation? ...

also, is there any reason why you can't ZIP and post your program? ... my guess is that the problem is NOT in the program but it wouldn't hurt to take a look ...

specific answer to specific question department:

Is it normal when downloading the progam back to the SCL for the Channel configuration to change back to default?

it is normal IF the channel configuration is still stored using its default settings in the offline file ... but usually in this case, the software will warn you and ask if you really want to "Apply" the change ...

answers

lets see f I can answer all your questions. Unfortunatly I cannot ZIP the file my IT nazi won't allow us to have "unnessisary" programs. The power was shut off I'm assuming by level that shut off the power to the whole panel yes tranformer/rectifier and all. No surge protector. yes properly grounded. has never happened before but evidentally did it three different times Sunday. Now I am doing the PMs with power applied. I checked the file that is saved on our server and the Channel configuratin is set correct. I have some doughts as to which program they downloaded into the processor.
Now I'm complaining because they "didn't" call me on Sunday when it happened, usually i'm complaining because they call me in for every little thing. And yes all of our processors have EEPROM Moduals. with three copies on our server updated every ten minutes.

Here are a few really stupid questions. When does the program load from the EEProm? Has the EEProm been burnned with the correct program and configuration? Is the battery good?

If the EEProm is set to load on powerup and the program that is burned into the EEProm is not correct then you will have this issue every time you power up.

question to a question

The SLC has been in operation for three years, With no problems like this during that three year time. I don't see why it would show it's ugly head now. I checked the battery and it is good. Not really a stupid question. it took me three hours before I thought of that one.

You might try and reburn the EEProm. That one has "burned" me a couple of times by loading the wrong channel configs.