CompactLogix to PF525

Hi All,

Looking for a solution to talk to multiple PF525 (not simultaneously) with a CompactLogix.

The node limitation is 8. I can increase this by a factor of 5 if I use multi Drive mode.

The above is great as I can direct address the drives in my code. For various reasons, we are exploring other options to get around this node limitation. I would like to use Messaging direct to the IP address of the PF525 device.

And here is my problem, it looks to me that even with Messaging I am still limited with the node count. The comms path requires the PF525 to be in my I/O configuration table.

Does anyone know a way to overcome this? Can I just direct message to the IP address of the said PF525?

Any advice welcomed.
Graeme.

I don't think you need the drive in your I/O configuration to use explicit messaging. It's a lot easier to set the message path up if you add it to the tree, because then you can just select it from the list, but after that you should be able to delete it from the I/O configuration and your message instruction will automatically convert the path for you.

I've never used messaging to a VSD before, so I can't absolutely promise that it's the case, but I know that's the case with messaging other PLC's and some other devices a have tried it on, so I don't see why it would be any different.

Hi. Thanks, that seemed to work, (in terms on comms config).

In the PATH parameter, I could not directly enter an IP address with out the 2, in front. I think that was the hint I needed.

Thanks again.

> I would like to use Messaging direct to the IP address of the PF525 device.

Do not attempt this. I have the flu and am not eager to explain why I have literally decades of experience that supports my very strong opinion on this specific topic.

Get a bigger CompactLogix. I know it costs more. Do it anyway.

Do not attempt this. I have the flu and am not eager to explain why I have literally decades of experience that supports my very strong opinion on this specific topic.

If Ken feels that strongly about it, I'd be inclined to do as he recommends.
This thread will give you a glimpse of some of the issues that direct messaging can cause.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=82719

Ken... Get better soon!

Bubba.

I had that same feeling, but had a hunch that someone with more weight behind the feeling might be along shortly to say it more forcefully than "I've never tried it, but I hear its a bad idea" :)

Get well soon, Ken!