How to upload old parameters to new drive PowerFlex 525

There is a support technologist and he did it remotely...is this possible? Like I said we replaced the whole thing (control and power). We then manually put in an IP address. So could he have the configuration and have just downloaded it to the new drive remotely?

There is a support technologist and he did it remotely...is this possible? Like I said we replaced the whole thing (control and power). We then manually put in an IP address. So could he have the configuration and have just downloaded it to the new drive remotely?

Wouldn't it seem logical to ask the support technologist?

Using an external HIM such as 22-HIM-C2S or 22-HIM-A3, HIM copycat is an available option for backing up and restoring PowerFlex 525 parameters. There’s no such option on the built in control module HIM.

If the only HIM Copycat selection you see is copy from device to HIM, there is no saved parameters set in the HIM. Go through the system and save parameters to the HIM's so you have them for the future. I suggest take the time to name each one so you would know if HIMs got switched. Pressing the number / navigation buttons while letter scrolling will jump through characters to save a little time holding up or down. Zero jumps to the blank space.

All the built in 525 parameters including onboard IP are covered in one save. I expect an add-on comm module is a separate save but I haven’t used one. I know it’s a separate save on PowerFlex 70. If something besides the HIM and drive shows up in the HIM menu for device select, I expect it’s a separate save. Cycle power to reboot with new settings after writing from HIM to drive.

Provided the control module is OK and only the power module has failed, you *should be able to run a new power module with the old control module. I have seen an alert for firmware mismatch between modules and *IIRC, it still worked. We only swap modules like this temporarily in a pinch because then both pieces wouldn’t be fresh and our cost difference is minimal between a complete drive and power module only.

A common USB-B will connect to the control module once removed from the power module. It should show up as a USB memory stick with the utility installer there. It might even be a stand alone executable that doesn’t need installed. That’s another means to backup and restore parameters.

Parameters can be saved in the Logix/Studio 5000 project. If drive parameters are already saved with the project, you would go online with the PLC, open that drive in the I/O tree, and download to the new drive from there. If they’re not saved, get them saved if you can.

Parameters can also be saved as a multiple drive project or each drive as an individual project using CCW. Ethernet is the usual connection for that but you could connect with a 1203-USB or similar device.

ADC is automatic configuration of the drive that I haven’t seen used much. A managed switch that assigns IP by port is sometimes used so you don’t even have to set the IP manually. If you really hate yourself or others, try DHCP.

An alternative to ADC could be a scattered write in the PLC program, after IP is set manually or by port. That should be triggered only as needed. Continuous writes would burn out the ROM.

There is no removable HIM on a 520 drive, but you can remove the entire Control Module. The 520s are two parts; a Control Module (CM) and a Power Module (PM). All CMs are the exactly the same, regardless of size, so any CM can replace any other one, but once connected, they are keyed to the size of the PM they were connected to. So if you put a CM from a different size onto your PM, it will not connect unless you clear the memory.

But conversely if you have a bad PM, you can replace it and plug your CM into it and it will work, no transfer of programming necessary as the programming stays in the CM.

The only way to transfer the programming is to upload it from the CM into a PC via the USB port on the back of the CM, then download it back into another CM. That can all be done off line, no power on the CM.

If you want a list of parameters to manually enter, look at the Modified Parameters group. That has only parameters that are changed from factory default. To replace with a new drive, these are the only parameters you would need to change. If installing a used drive from a different application, you should probably do a factory reset be entering 2 into P053. Warning - this immediately wipes all modified parameters to factory default.

A handy way to get a list of modified parameters is use the USB utility to save a *.pf5. Open the file with a text editor and delete a bit of scripting and you’re left with a list of modified parameters. Give it a name and print it so you have what you need on paper, so no computer needed at drive replacement time.

replacement of vfd525

Hi

Today we replace the vfd525 with the identical one and also match the parameters but still the vfd525 is not working.
Any suggestions please!

If you’re using Ethernet, you will need to power cycle the drive for it to boot with the new settings. Wait for it to go completely dark before turning back on. If it’s a newer firmware revision, you might need to change the module in the PLC program to compatible or to the new revision if it’s set to exact match for an older revision.

Last edited:
Then look at the users manual for the below parameter.
page 76

b006 Drive Status Read Only

Present operating condition of the drive.
Values
Default: Read Only
Min/Max: 00000/11111
Display: 00000
1 = True/Active, 0 = False/Inactive
Running Digit 1
Forward Digit 2
Accelerating Digit 3
Decelerating Digit 4
SafetyActive(1) Digit 5
(1) Setting is specific to PowerFlex 525 drives only.

Also look at B13 contrl In status? is this being used?

Past that point, look at commanded freq, what is the value?

b002 [Commanded Freq] Related Parameter(s): b001, b013, P043, P044, P048, P050, P052
Value of the active frequency command even if the drive is not running.
Values
Default: Read Only
Min/Max: 0.00/[Maximum Freq]
Display: 0.01 Hz

I was able to transfer PF525 drive parameters using HIM 22E com/a3 then transferred back to the drive no problem. I used DSI port.