micro830 cannot connect after 12.013 firmware upgrade

darkplc

I was trying to upgrade a micro830 to firmware 12.013 and was unable to connect. I searched online several times with most results sending me here for unrelated issues. So, I thought I would post the solution in hopes someone in the future can find a solution faster than I.

After upgrading firmware from version 9 to 12.013 I could not connect or download to PLC. With the following error:

An error occurred while writing to customcommand.

After searching for hours online for a possible solution, I tried downgrading to version 12.011. Afterwards, I was able to connect with no problem.

Thinking that version 13.0 of Connected Components Workbench(CCW)could not handle 12.013 firmware, I looked online for a newer version.

On Rockwell's website, I stumbled on a patch for CCW specifically for the micro830 12.013 firmware. CCW V13 Patch for Micro800 FW 12.013

After installing the patch I could upgrade to firmware 12.013 and download just fine.

Last edited:
I found this same problem working with a Micro850, and used the same patch as you and it fixed my problem.

In case anyone else happens across this same problem I will provide some additional information: When I found this problem, I had 2 dozen Micros that I was programming and it was only 2 of them that happened to have firmware 12.013 on them. The rest were all 12.011, and the program download worked fine. I didn't know that the 3 that weren't working all happened to have 12.013 on them, because they were all provided in the same order and it didn't occur to me to check them all.

Before I found this post, I was hunting for solutions, and made some other program changes to see if I could get it to download. I found that changing the Controller -> General setting "Download Source Code" to No, would allow an un-patched version of CCW to download the offline program to 12.013 firmware device.

Just posting so others have the same info.

Thanks this fixed my problem

I found this same problem working with a Micro850, and used the same patch as you and it fixed my problem.

In case anyone else happens across this same problem I will provide some additional information: When I found this problem, I had 2 dozen Micros that I was programming and it was only 2 of them that happened to have firmware 12.013 on them. The rest were all 12.011, and the program download worked fine. I didn't know that the 3 that weren't working all happened to have 12.013 on them, because they were all provided in the same order and it didn't occur to me to check them all.

Before I found this post, I was hunting for solutions, and made some other program changes to see if I could get it to download. I found that changing the Controller -> General setting "Download Source Code" to No, would allow an un-patched version of CCW to download the offline program to 12.013 firmware device.

Just posting so others have the same info.