KEPware Allen-Bradley Controllogix Ethernet - How to Read ASCII file

Tanquen

PLC is ControlLogix 1756-L73 CPU with firmware 28

In the PLC the value for A60[110] is "AT", Style ASCII, Data Type INT.

In KEPServerEX I tried:

Char A60[110] = -1
Char Array A60[110]{5} = -1,-1,0,0,0
Short A60[110] = 16724
String A60:110/4 = Unknown/Bad

This will end up in an InTouch app and it is using a string tag with the address A60[110]{5} but read it as a long number: 1672420512000

Last edited:
Can you move that data into an actual STRING datatype and use InTouch to read that ?

It sounds like it was almost certainly translated from a PLC-5, which had a special ASCII data type. The ControlLogix doesn't have an ASCII data type, but can show the contents of SINT, INT, or DINT arrays in ASCII format.

What is your application; do you just want to display a string, or do you have to process it or enter a new string in InTouch ?

Yes the old PLC was a SLC with a CompactLogix 5370 L3 series processor.

Not sure if I can move them to a string.

The existing InTouch application is using a user input with an I/O Message tag and the address A60:110/4

I found an app that they have already upgraded and the address in InTouch looks like this: A49[0].DATA/10 @STRING

A49[0].DATA/10 @STRING

The "A49[0].Data" suggests that it was changed to a STRING datatype, because those have a .Length subelement, and a .Data[x] subelement that is a SINT[x] array.

The "/10" suggests InTouch syntax that designates the string has a fixed length of 10, rather than having InTouch read the .Length subelement

"@STRING" is probably InTouch syntax designating this reference as a String data type.

Unfortunately I don't know much about InTouch string displays and entry objects.