Messaging to IndraControl L45 with a 1769-L30ER

Heater

Hey everyone,

I am trying to message to a IndraControl L45 controller that I do not have access too. I have been given given a list of addresses that I can read and write (from the company that installed the L45). I am using Ethernet to communicate to the L45, and it is on my network. I am using the MSG instruction... I am using a CIP Data Table Read message type, and have the address that was provided as my source element. My path is the IP address of the L45, and I am getting "Error Processing connection related service" error.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

My path is the IP address of the L45

The path typically consists of pairs of numbers in the form <Port>, <NextAddress>.

There may be other issues, but you definitely need to specify the outgoing port from your Logix controller in addition to the address of the target device.

Thanks for the reply plvlce. I currently have the port specified with "2, 192.168.1.4" which is the target device.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community ! You chose a challenging question for your first post.

Are you confident that the IndraControl has correctly been configured as a CIP Data Server ? Start by seeing if you can make a test connection to TCP Port 44818, like using Windows Powershell and issuing a "tnc 192.168.1.4 -port 44818"

What is the syntax of the tags that the IndraControl programmers have made available ? What are their exact names ?

"Error processing connection related service" sounds like the common error error 0x01, extended error 0x0204 code indicating a failure of the CIP connection. That error code can show up when there's no network path at all (the TCP connection can't even get made) or when there is a CIP protocol layer failure. In your case I'd place 50/50 odds on which protocol layer is failing.

Another way to test TCP and CIP connectivity is to use a MSG instruction in your CompactLogix that sends only a "List Identity" command, which is exactly what RSLinx does. The Identity Object is mandatory in CIP, so if a device that talks CIP is connected to the Ethernet network correctly, it will always respond to List Identity.

You can also try adding a default "Slot 0 of the backplane" on the end of your CIP Path, which would be a ",1, 0". That isn't necessary with the modern 1769-L30ER sort of controllers or the 1756-L8xE controllers, but it is with any other prior generation, including the ones when the Rexroth IndraControl L45 was being developed.

Last edited: