RS-422 encoder signals: "splitter" or "parallel" ?

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have an application I'm considering where I need a device that's generating a master encoder output signal to drive two slave devices at the same time.

The master device is an A-B 2198-ABQE module. Its default output is a 5V RS-422 style encoder signal, so Channel A and Channel B are both differential twisted pairs.

Slave Device 1 is a JVL MAC402 integrated servo motor. When configured for "gearing" mode, it accepts a quadrature encoder input signal with Channel A and Channel B both being RS-422 differential pairs.

Slave Device 2 is an Olympus Focus PX ultrasound analysis instrument. To perform its feature of non-destructive "scanning" of composite workpieces, it usually gets a position input from an actual standalone SICK encoder that has an ordinary RS-422 differential signal output. I want to instead connect it to the same signal from the 2198-ABQE, in parallel with the JVL motor.

I've done applications where I "split" an encoder signal, but those were simpler single-ended HTL type encoders. And the boards were always fragile and got more attention during troubleshooting than I think they deserved.

Are RS-422 encoder signals appropriate for connection in parallel this way ? Can you really do "multi drop" encoder connections ?

The distances would only be a few feet of cable.

Thanks for that perspective and comments !

Again, this is a one-driver, two-receiver system.

There's no risk of multiple drivers transmitting at the same time, and RS-422 is supposed to support ten receivers.

I suppose when you're dealing with multiple vendors, you have to either test thoroughly or plan for isolator/repeater devices.

Every time a customer tried to get away from the (nominal) cost of a splitter and run in parallel, it failed. So they end up having to add the splitter. Waste of time, you'd think they would learn from their mistakes.