Messaging from Mircro850 to MicroLogix1500

dduquette2141

Hello Everyone,

Let me start out by saying I am definitely not a pro by any stretch of the imagination. What I have is a Micro850 that is on the same network as a MicroLogix 1500 with a NET ENI. I don't really have a preference on how I accomplish my goal as far as which way I send the message (if this is even possible.
I tried writing a DINT from the Micro to the Micrologix by coping the DINT into 4 USINTs, then using a write message to the Micrologix.(the MSG block in CCW only sends or receives USINTs) I am getting a errorID of 33 and a subErrorID 40 as you can see in the screenshots. Which is an Unsupported CIP symbolic data type error. I suppose that makes sense because I'm writing to the N9 data table which is an INT. I just assumed it would write 4 USINTs to 2 INTs. From what I've seen there is no SINT data tables in the MicroLogix 1500.
I believe the connection is working properly because is tried writing to N9:0 first and I received an Invalid CIP symbol name error instead (ErrorID 33 subErrorID 41).

TEKNOR MSG 1.jpg TEKNOR MSG 2.jpg TKENOR MSG 3.jpg

I have not messed around with the Micro800 series much myself, but I found a UDFB at this link at Rockwell here. It is called "Micro800 UDFBs: Ethernet Messaging to SLC & MicroLogix" and looks like it will do what you are trying to do. If it filtered correctly, it should be the second Download link from the top. Hope this helps.

Welcome to the forum!

Try changing GALA_CIP_TRG_CFG.CipConnMode to 1.

As far as USING vs DINT, it might be better to write those Micro8xx USINT array elements into a Long Data File on the MicroLogix. There may be some byte-swapping issues, but start trying getting the bits to land on the MicroLogix first, then you can look at them in Hex/BCD and figure out what's what.

TL;DR

The jargon used for CIP varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and even between device families within a single manufacturer, but I would be surprised if the MicroLogix could handle an Unconnected* connection mode connection as a server (although I could be wrong - I am all but certain a MicroLogix 1100 cannot handle that). Also, the trigger of the TON_1.Q, where TON_1 is a repeating timer, suggests you are set up for a Class 3 (a.k.a. Explicit) connection.

* I assume "Unconnected" is the same as Class 1 (a.k.a. Implicit).

Another completely different option that has a lot fewer moving parts is to use Modbus: Micro8xx instruction is summat like MSG_MODBUS2; The MicroLogix will need to have a Modbus server (a.ka. slave) configured in its [Channel Configuration], but at least then you know exactly what is going where, and the protocol setup is the smaller problem. Setting up the MicroLogix as the Modbus client (a.k.a. master) would be even easier, but then the MicroLogix would be pulling from (polling) the Micro8xx, whereas with the Micr8xx pushing data you can code it to only send data when significant changes occur.