RSView Studio trouble with install.

Barry Kirk

Lifetime Supporting Member
I was recently given a new PC at work that supposedly has RSView Studio pre-installed on it.

When I go to start RSView Studio it comes up with a screen that says Product Type Selection and then it says Select the type of product that you would like to configure.

The selection dialog for Product type selection is empty and at the bottom are two buttons continue and exit with continue ghosted out.

I suppose if I were able to select one of the nonexistent product types it would unghost the continue button.

How do I proceed to get RSView running.

I'm trying to program a Panelview Plus 600

This is what you should see:

RSViewStudio.JPG

Maybe the installation needs to be repeated or repaired?

I don't see any of the icons in the window.

I believe the installation disks are locked in my boss's office. And he is home cause it's Saturday.

You should repair your installation (from the add/remove software control panel).

You will need your installation disk to do it though.

I had to do this the other day to fix some problems with RSView Studio as well.

I now have access to the install disks and went through the following uninstall reinstall procedure.

Note that I have RSView Rev 3.20

Next, from add remove programs:
2a.) Uninstall RSView ME.
2b.) Uninstall RSLinx enterprise.
2c.) Uninstall Factory Talk Automation Platform (this does not apply to RSView ME 3.0).

3a.) Start the registry editor (Start -> Run -> type "Regedit" <return>). In the registry editor browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Rockwell Software\ and remove

any of the following keys if they exist:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Rockwell Software\FactoryTalk Diagnostics
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Rockwell Software\FTAP
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Rockwell Software\RNA
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Rockwell Software\RSLinxNG
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Rockwell Software\RSView Enterprise

3b.) Now browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Rockwell Software\ and remove:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Rockwell Software\_METU
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Rockwell Software\RSView Enterprise
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Rockwell Software\RSView Studio

4.) Reboot the computer.

5.) Now use windows explorer to navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Rockwell. Delete all files in this directory that begin with "FT" and also delete all files that
begin with "RNA".

6a.) Insert the RSview ME CD or browse to the download folder.
6b.) Install Factory talk (This does not apply to RSView ME 3.0).
6c.) Install RSView Studio ME.

After going through this uninstall and reinstall procedure. I still having the exact same problem. There are no products to select.

Maybe you should upgrade to 4.0? I am a newbie with RSView Studio, but I have heard from my counterpart all about all kinds of problems until version 4.0 came out. Also, there are two gazillion patches available at rockwell software's website. The patches are so involved, that they have come out with a "patch rollup" batch file that actually manages the patches for you!

First you should get (at least) a second opinion and maybe start a case number with rockwell support...they may have a quick and easy answer just a phone call away...

Wish I knew more to tell you...
Paul

If you have only RSView Studio ME, which is what you need to program a PanelView Plus, you should not be getting the "Product Type Selection" splash screen. An ME-only package comes up in ME with no options offered. If you have RSView SE, then you get the splash screen and can choose what to run.

If your CD PN is "9701VWSTMENE" you have Machine Edition; if there's a option to install ME not Studio try that. My ME CD for Version 3.1 says "RS View Machine Edition Version 3.10;" my CD for Studio SE is a week old and says "RSView Supervisory Edition Version 4.0."

Aside from that, your install sequence looks ok. You're installing Factory Talk first, right?

Yes, I'm installing Factory Talk first.

I tried just installing ME without RSView Studio, but that puts me into a Panelview Plus Simulator with a 2 hour limit. Not the Studio Developer.

I called Rockwell tech support and they referenced me to Tech Note 24570.

That brought back old memories from trying to install RSView ME Studio at a previous employer.

So, I checked and my computer did not have MSXML installed on it. So, I downloaded and installed MSXML 3.0 and set it up to run in replace mode.

Uninstalled and reinstalled RSView Studio yet again. Still Nothing.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling with the virus protection disabled... Still nothing.... But that brought back memories from previous employer.

McAfee is evil and that is what our corporate insists on using. I remember, at the previous employer, being completely unable to get RSView Studio to run on a computer that had McAfee on it. Even if McAfee was turned off. Uninstalling McAfee and RSView Studio came back to life....

The IT guys up at corporate would probably have me fired if I uninstalled McAfee from my current computer.

Barry Kirk said:
The IT guys up at corporate would probably have me fired if I uninstalled McAfee from my current computer.

I'd say they are pretty poor IT guys if they think McAfee is any good. Let them know McAfee is incompatible and you need something else. I use Trend Micro's PC-cillan and haven't had any problems with any controls s/w package.

OK. God knows I've had problems with anything that starts "RS...." but it shouldn't be this hard.

You said you have version 3.2. What exactly does the CD label say, and what is the product name? And what options do you get when you start the install?

My impression after having run ME for a year, and upgrading to SE last week, is that they are two different products. I don't think that my Ver 3.1 ME CD even had the option of installing SE, altho I don't remember. I did do Ver 3.1 to 3.2 on four PCs, all running XP, without any trouble. Even if V4 has changed that, you said you're at 3.2 so that I think is still very separate.

Yeah, the virus scans can be a problem. But you should at least be able to install. And if you're in support, keep calling Cleveland... they really are decent at helping resolve most issues. Also if you're in support, try downloading ME 4.0 and installing that directly. If you're not in support, 3.2 should still at least install and start. Do you have the 3.1 disks around, or just 3.2?

Last edited:
Sorry for the long delay on answering this one guys and thanks for all of the assistance. Due to office politics around here, I'm only allowed to work on this one after business hours... Politics sucks...

Anyway. I'm pretty sure that it's McAfee screwing things up. I brought in my home laptop which does not have McAfee on it. Installed RSview the same exact way that I've installed it on my work desktop. It installed first time with no problems!!!

Now I have some proof that it's nothing i'm doing wrong. Of course I instantly deleted RSView from my home laptop. I really don't want that software on there.

Again guys, thanks for all of the support!!!

Just wanted to chime in. I've been using RSView since it was beta in 1995, has installed it on over 100pcs, and have to say your issue was really wierd.

Yeah, RSViewStudio has had some bumps, and I agree that version 4.0 of Studio had a offline contrologix browsing bug, but considering no other package in the universe could get contrologix offline browsing right either, I would say condeming the product for that bug would be like condeming Windows for its long boot up time.

I recommend if you ever have a problem with any Rockwell product try your local Rockwell distributor - yes every city has a local guy like me who should know his stuff and be able to get you going.

Oh, and don't forget http://support.rockwellautomation.com either - full of tech notes, etc.

PS - For anyone new to RSViewStudio I've posted some tutorials on youtube - just search on RSViewStudio.

Good luck all,

Shawn Michael Tierney
www.shawnmtierney.com