Old Slip Ring Motor

Prince

One of our factories needs to start an old slip ring motor. I suggested that they use a common "resistor selector" system to start the motor then use a clutch for jogging. They say that using a clutch system makes the test system expensive for their budget.

As they are using a bigger motor (145kw motor for 80kw max application), They want to know whether they can try to start the motor without the starting resistors for the test and jogging? Should they use bigger cables and contactors? What limitations will they have (Number of the turn on/off)?

Last edited:
Will still need the resistance starting.

Trying to start a slip ring motor with the rings shorted is asking for trouble.

Depends on the load. High inertia? If low inertia then DOL and shorted slip rings should be ok.

You need to know the starting torque requirements of your load to determine what you need to do. Slip ring motors have a high starting torque compared to an equivalent rated squirell cage motor

Last edited:
With the slip rings shorted, you get high current and possibly so much torque that you can damage the motor itself. I have seen people try and end up shearing off the rotor shaft. The only way to start them with the rings shorted is with a good vector VFD.

If you are going with a resistor system, why can’t you jog /test with a high resistance in the rotor circuit?