ControlLogix/PF753 Ethernet comms

mylespetro

Hey everyone,

Running into a snag while commissioning some PF753 drives onsite. We have a ControlLogix L71 processor with an EN2TR card in the rack (IP 192.168.1.10), and we're looking to have four 753s in a ring bus topology using the 20-750-ENETR cards. The drives and their IPs should be as follows:

Drive A - 192.168.1.1
Drive B - 192.168.1.2
Drive C - 192.168.1.3
Drive D - 192.168.1.4

Currently we're trying to configure drive B while the other drives are having their wiring completed, however I can't establish communications between the PLC and the drive. I've set the IP of the PLC both through software and the physical rotary switches to be 192.168.1.10, and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, while the gateway address is set to 192.168.1.1 (don't know how to change this, could possibly be an issue). We've tried setting the IP on the ENETR card using the rotary switches and by setting it to 999 and referring to the parameters, but we still can't establish anything. The EN2TR card in the PLC says it sees activity from 192.168.1.2, but I keep getting the yellow caution symbol next to the drive.

Unfortunately, the networking side of PLCs and drives is not my quite my forte, would anyone here have any ideas or instructions on how to get up and running?

Thanks

Can you tell us what the logix error message is on the communications tab of the drive?

It said something along the lines of an incorrect module or address or something, I went into the EN2TR card from my laptop with an Ethernet patch cord and I could see the drive, so I uploaded the EDS file (was unrecognized) and I'm seeing it now. This seemed to cause Logix Designer to crash however, so I'm waiting for that to boot back up and I'll report back with any progress.

Thanks!

Wi66Qd3

Attached an image of the port config tab, it shows it as 192.168.1.1 but when I hover over it in the I/O tree it says IP Address: 192.168.1.2. Not sure where the mix up is coming from, could the 192.168.1.1 be the ENETR card IP address?

EDIT: Doesn't look like the picture is working, I'll try and fix that.

Last edited:
Do your powerflex drives have the HIM (keypad) on the front? You can use the keypad to view the actual IP address currently set in the drive. I think it is Parameters 38-41 based on pg 231 in the manual:

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/750-pm001_-en-p.pdf

Sometimes you have to cycle power to the drive to get it to accept a new IP address.

We do have a HIM module, but I don't believe the 753s have the Embedded Ethernet parameter files, as the 755 has embedded Ethernet, not the 753.

So I can see the drive through the PLC and I can see the PLC through the drive if I plug into the Ethernet card on the drive, which is what led to me thinking it may be a module mismatch. Unfortunately, I can't delete the module while online, and I can't download the program if I go offline and delete the module. From snooping around other threads on here, it looks like I can't delete modules if there's logic referring to them, so it looks like I may have to delete the logic referring to drive B and try again.

Sorry for the quintuple post, but I got everything communicating correctly. It was a revision mismatch in the project. I clicked the Change button under Module Definition under the General tab, and in the bottom left of the Module Definition window that comes up, I clicked the Match Drive button and it automatically populated the module info. It was defaulted to Rev 9.1 in the project, where the drive was Rev 13.3, in addition to which all of the drive ratings were incorrect. Once the correct revision was entered and the drive ratings matched, I could go online with the drive through the PLC. Simple error on my end.