Ethernet-IP

Alan Case

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just wondering what is the largest ethernet-IP network anyone on here has come across in terms of separate IP addresses, and which switches were used for this application. Viewed a soon to be commissioned project the other day with 400 IPs. (300 of them are VFDs on ENet-IP)
Regards Alan Case

It won't work unless.

You will need to learn how to use the level 3 routers or those with IGMP snooping. Those will effectively make your big network a lot of little ones. My saw mill customers tell me they need the IGMP snooping AND they use multiple ENBT cards so the motion modules are on a separate network from the HMIs and the Flex I/O.

Alan,

I would take an overall look at the system, does it breakup into logical areas or would you have to consider it one facility? I would surmise that you or the powers that be want overall admin (read SCADA) control however if the VFDs are in seperate facilities I would treat each area as a sub network (eg lighting 192.168.0.0-255, ventilation 192.168.1.0-255 etc) and use routers to connect the areas together. I have not had too much experience with Layer 3 switches as opposed to routers (they do the same job just a little differently). This is one of those few times where the W_nkers in IT/Systems can be very helpful.

If you want more info post a bit more detail or PM me and I will take a look. (BTW CCNA qualified before I saw the light...)

Another think to consider is where the vsds communicate to, if SCADA is communicating with the VSDs directly as apposed to the PLC reading the info from the vsds which is then read by scada.

Andrew