ControlLogix: What's the latest intel?

akreel

This one's just for the "back-pocket" file:

What's the current state of ControlLogix to Panelview communication? When they were first introduced, it was tough to use a Panelview with ControlLogix because the ControlLogix didn't support the traditional N7:xxx memory structure. Rumor was, that was going to be added later.

1) Can you use a DF1, or DH+ Panelview with the ControlLogix now? What versions do you need of the software/hardware?

2) What PanelView/Processor configurations are you using now?

Thanks guys!
AK

Yes, Panelviews are available for either DH+ or Controlnet....choose your flavor.

Howard

The older legacy networks(DF1, DH+, DH485, RIO) will NEVER support CIP communication, which is required for native tags. You have been able to use communication emulation to allow the CLX to set specific arrays to an equivalent PLC5/SLC500 file types. With this you can use the older PanelView/PanelMate dedicated HMIs with no problem. No additional software required. It is just one more of the many things to document and maintain (mapping files). The preferred way would be to use one of the newer PanelView Plus with it's built in ethernet, which supports CIP and the native tag names. Or go with the ControlNet option on the older standard PanelView. The controlnet network starts to become saturated if you have more than about 3 panelviews on the network (if using unscheduled communication).

Darren

1) Can you use a DF1, or DH+ Panelview with the ControlLogix now? What versions do you need of the software/hardware?
You've been able to use these PanelViews with CLX since version 2 (if not before) which came out some 5 years ago. You just need to create array tags in CLX and map PLC or SLC file numbers to them.

My preference is the ethernet PV's. They use native addresses for CLX tags.

Gerry said:

You've been able to use these PanelViews with CLX since version 2 (if not before) which came out some 5 years ago. You just need to create array tags in CLX and map PLC or SLC file numbers to them.

My preference is the ethernet PV's. They use native addresses for CLX tags.

I haven't found any good documentation about the mapping functions. I stopped looking, I think, because someone told me mapping wasn't available yet, but you say it was in version 2. Can you recommend any literature?

And, Dash, I've never used ControlNet for Panelviews (yet). But, I have used it with FlexI/O. How do you set that up for PanelView communication? Does it use block transfers like RemoteI/O, or is there some other procedure with that network?

AK

If you have RSLogix 5000, from the 'Logic' pull-down menu select "Map PLC/SLC Messages". Click the Help button in the dialogue box that appears.

It's not rocket science.

e.g.
for a PV tag addressed to N7:5, you would map file 7 to an INT array tag (call it PanelView_INTs, or whatever). The PV would then read/write its N7:5 tag from/to PanelView_INTs[5] in the CLX.

Gerry said:
It's not rocket science.

Probably not. Problem is: when someone plops hardware on your desk with no manuals and no real goals, you're only going to spend so long tinkering.

I played with the ControlLogix a little bit, got it hooked up to the FlexI/O, found out about the "route-step" nightmare, discovered some interesting things about Triac outputs, and then tried to get it connected to a PanelView. There's a history here on the message board, because I was really working blind.

The help file, which was all I had to go on (aside from the advice I got here), wasn't very helpful. A few phone calls got me to the point where I was convinced that the feature just wasn't ready yet. So, I guess tech support mislead me in this case. I'm getting used to stumping tech support guys. But, at least I share the answers if I figure them out myself.

The stuff is boxed-up right now, but I'll have to dig it out again and go to town on it.

AK