Produced/Comsumed across Ethernet network error

Sydney

Hi all

I'm trying to add a Consumed Tag in a 1756-L63 across a EtherNet network to another 1756-L63 in a second chassis. I know the controller 1756-L63 producing the tags is working because there is a 1756-L1 consuming the same data in the same chassis.

I have the two Ethernet cards connected through a router and my laptop is connected wirelessly to the router for programming.

I'm getting a connection error (16#0203) Connection Timed Out on the 1756-L63 in the I/O configuration tree of the consuming controller.

My question is can I use an router or does this connection require a switch to connect between the two EtherNet cards. One card is a 1756-ENBT/A and the other is a 1756/ENET/B.

Also I made sure the producer had enough consumers.

Last edited:
In general a system with multiple Consumers will use IP Multicast, which means that the devices need to be able to reach each other over an ordinary Layer 2 switch or a network otherwise set up to transport multicast traffic.

Does your router have a built-in switch and the devices are all on the same logical and physical LAN, or is the traffic actually crossing the router from one subnet to another ?

Even the old 1756-ENET/B should be capable of Producing tags over EtherNet/IP, but they had a relatively small number of available connections, so you might want to check its diagnostic webpage.

And I'm not sure that the 1756-ENET supported Unicast connections even if it was used with a v16 or newer controller.