PowerFlex 525 Control I/O

KJBachman

Quick question for all. Looking at upgrading my plants VFD's to PF525 however all the current plant controls are 120VAC. Can the PF 525 be ordered with 120VAC I/O control rather than 24VDC? Really hoping yes otherwise some additional work will need to be done.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sounds like a great candidate for the "do it for safety even if it's hard" award.

I mean you could have some rather complex controls with interlocks, but surely this should just be a case of removing the 110V feed and supplying with the drive internal 24VDC. Probably changing some appliance wire to the right colour too.

You can use 120VAC directly on the aux relay. For any drive inputs, you would need interposing relays or 24VDC. The drive can supply it's own control voltage or you can use external 24VDC.

You could mount one relay beside the drive for the run signal. You would need additional relays if using discrete signals for reverse, speed select, etc. If you could go to Ethernet control, I would highly recommend that.

I'm with 5618 on this, why not go with ethernet control? If you aren't using ethernet control, you could save a buck or two by going with a 523 instead.

>The drive can supply it's own control voltage or you can use external 24VDC.

I found the PowerFlex 525's discrete Input connection diagram to be confusing until a PLCTalk colleague pointed out that I was over-thinking it.

The PowerFlex 525 discrete Inputs are just ordinary 24V opto-couplers, but with two input diodes wired with opposite polarity. That lets you use a jumper to configure the circuit as "Sourcing" or "Sinking", and make your input circuits connect either to +24V or to DC Common.

You can choose to use the Terminals 11 and 4 onboard the PowerFlex 525 to provide the +24V and DC Common, or use an external power supply.

To interface with 120V control circuits, use any small relay with a 120V coil. It makes sense to use the onboard +24V supply on the drive so that all the low-voltage stays local to this circuitry.

Another method if budget allows and if you don't want to use a bunch of interposing relays and add some flexibility and lessen the chance of component failure (Relays) to the system you could use a small PLC with AC inputs and DC outputs and some safety input and output cards if needed.

Someone (can’t remember the name now) developed a 120V interface board that stabbed into the terminals a couple of years after the 520s were released. It died because so few people bought them.

There were 120V interfaces built for the Bulletin 160 and for the 1305 VFD, neither of which had a modular I/O board like the 1336+ did.

The vendor was Leaf Industries in Wisconsin; I found an example of their board on eBay. I don't think they are in that business anymore, because as jraef noted there is very little demand for such a purpose-built board.

There were 120V interfaces built for the Bulletin 160 and for the 1305 VFD, neither of which had a modular I/O board like the 1336+ did.

The vendor was Leaf Industries in Wisconsin; I found an example of their board on eBay. I don't think they are in that business anymore, because as jraef noted there is very little demand for such a purpose-built board.

Yep. But someone took that Leaf design and made one for the 520s about 5 or 6 years ago, I think they were in Georgia or somewhere down South. I saw one, but maybe it was a mock-up / prototype to judge the viability and they discovered a lack of interest.

I tried to get Spectrum Controls (someone you are likely familiar with Ken) to consider making one, they too dropped the idea.