Good tool bag for controls technicians?

nyanpasu

I hope you will allow me to ask a somewhat tangential question.

I am on the market for a new tool bag. I was wondering what you guys used to lug your stuff around.

I don't carry much, so I don't need a huge rolling casket, but would appreciate some expansion room. I'm currently using an open air tote from Canadian Tire and I just...don't like it. It doesn't feel secure. I would be happier with a closed model.

Thanks for any guidance.

I use what looks like an industrial strength doctors bag. One large compartment inside, just long enough to fit a ball peen hammer.

I am also employed in my building - little travel other than around the plant. So I have a bench with drawers where my fine small tools are kept.
Poet.

I got a decent ~$40 laptop backpack from amazon, customized it by installing 2" elastic for tool organization. I agree with AustralIan about the coffee and buttons.

nyanpasu--morning and welcome to the forum!!

I work for a controls integrator, so I take my laptop, cables and some hand tools in a backpack for start-ups. I have a T-600 fluke meter which serves me real well in the field, a pair of strippers and several types of screwdrivers (you need a small tip controls screwdriver, especially to depress the clip tension on A-B terminal blocks that go on some modules)
When I worked in the plants, I have a Stanley rolling tool box, has a retractable handle and it pulls along like luggage. Has good locks that I can put TSA locks on for travel. I also have a fold up table and a chair, so when I'm doing a start up I can take the table, chair, backpack and a cup of coffee all at once one trip from the car and still get in the door Haha. Again welcome the forum and I hope this helps.

I got this Magma MA2635 backpack:
techniker-werkzeugrucksack-unbestueckt-ck-magma-ma2635-b-x-h-x-t-400-x-470-x-200-mm.jpg

Much better than a regular tool bag. Especially if the plant is large and you have to walk a lot around.

edit: An important advantage for me is that it is soft, except for the base that is hard and facilitates that the backpack can stand on its own.
as opposed to the traditional hard toolchest, I can put it in my main luggage and squeze the air out of it to gain a bit more space.
That is great for when the airline only allows you 1 checked in bag and you dont want to pay an extortion fee to get your tools checked in.

Last edited:
+1. I love mine, and it's clocked a lot of miles. Carries all essential hand tools, a meter, and a large laptop. Separate case for oscilloscope and you're all set.

I carry a Klein backpack. HUGE difference from the toolbag style. I really like it.

Klein here too for most 'controls' stuff, laptop, cables, few screwdrivers, tablet. then if i need more handtools i have a Toolpak backpack as well. The Klein is great if you need a laptop, fits up to a 17".

http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/tradesman-pro-organizers/tradesman-pro-tech-backpack-20

If I stocked one today I'd probably go the backpack route. But I did like having a bag like this for field work:
https://www.amazon.com/Hatch-D1-Patrol-Duty-Bag/dp/B0050SPWLY

Tons of pockets to drop screwdrivers, flashlights, nut drivers, zip ties, cables, rags, etc. The fliptop lid was nice to store building and panel keys, places for pens and sharpies.

The voluminous main compartment fit a full size laptop, clipboard, notepad.

I didn't have too much trouble with it flopping over, which is an issue I had with the backpack format. With those you'd have to find a clean floor & wall spot to prop it up.

I ended up with a craftsman cart that I'd throw that on the top of and a camping chair and folding table on the lower shelf, if was going into a plant all day I could roll in and out. If it was a quick visit I'd just grab the bag.

nyanpasu--morning and welcome to the forum!!

I work for a controls integrator, so I take my laptop, cables and some hand tools in a backpack for start-ups. I have a T-600 fluke meter which serves me real well in the field, a pair of strippers and several types of screwdrivers (you need a small tip controls screwdriver, especially to depress the clip tension on A-B terminal blocks that go on some modules)
When I worked in the plants, I have a Stanley rolling tool box, has a retractable handle and it pulls along like luggage. Has good locks that I can put TSA locks on for travel. I also have a fold up table and a chair, so when I'm doing a start up I can take the table, chair, backpack and a cup of coffee all at once one trip from the car and still get in the door Haha. Again welcome the forum and I hope this helps.

I also work for a controls integrator. My laptop is my main toll and I lug it around with the rest. It would be nice to have just one bag to carry everything. I am quite interested in going the backpack route. What do you have?

Might be useful to list the tools I usually carry :

• Wera screwdriver set with interchangeable blades
  • standalone terminal screwdriver
  • two adjustable pliers
  • two adjustable wrenches
  • linesman pliers
  • long-nose pliers
  • side cutters
  • flush cutters
  • wire strippers
  • Fluke 787
  • bitdriver set with tamperproof bits
  • metric/SAE allen key sets
  • knife
  • cable ties
  • electrical tape
  • sometimes basic power tools, can be carried on the side

I'm mainly worried a dual laptop/tools bag won't be able to fit this. I unfortunately can't get my hands on one, so I need to go with opinions/experiences of other people.

Last edited: