CIP message- Class, Instance, Attribute???

I am trying to get some data from a Avery weightronix model 1070 scale to my compact logix using ethernet/ip. In my code I will use a msg instruction configured as a CIP generic message type, to read data from the weightronix hence why its configured to get attribute single. I have user defined datatype called SCALEHOPPER_IN that I will use for my destination tag. My userdefined tag will be have 3 real data types and 2 bool data types labeled i.e. SCALEHOPPER_IN.GROSS, SCALEHOPPER_IN.NET etc. I am having trouble understanding the class, instance, and attribute settings in the msg instruction could someone please shed some light on the subject at to how to get these values.
In the attached document I have from top to bottom, the page out of the manual for how to map outbound data in the scale, my current mapped outbound data in the scale, and my message instruction in RS5K.

If this device supports EtherNet/IP (CIP) protocol, then device manual should provide these parameter to you.
If they support TCP/IP transport layer only then CIP Message and CompactLogix will not work.

It does appear to be compatible with Ethernet/IP but we're going to need more than the two pages you posted of the manual. Do you have the whole thing?

it is ethernet/ip compatible
http://www.wtxweb.com/literature/e1110_L.pdf
I don't have the manual here at home but I do have it at work. I have both the scale and etools manuals and it is not in any place. The page you see is the only page that has anything to do with ethernet/ip communications. The scale supports cnet, dnet, profibus, modbus/tcp, and ethernet/ip

funny how we posted the same thing

Last edited:
ODVA site clearly states that it does CIP messaging and I/O control

Both require manufacturer to specify connection attributes and their sizes.

My guess is that the data array you are setting up, with its different data types and elements, is presented as an Assembly Object, which is Class 0x04.

Usually Assembly Objects are handled with a Master-Slave I/O connection, but sometimes you send messages to them.

Often the Input Assembly is Class 0x04, Instance 0x01, and its data is Attribute 0x03. Likewise the Output Assembly is often Class 0x04, Instance 0x02, Attribute 0x03.

But this is only a guess. I suspect that Weightronix doesn't sell enough of these equipped with EtherNet/IP to put the manual on their website, so mountainbikedude will have to post more from his resources.

Avery ZM301

I am having an issue setting up a message read on an Avery AM301 scale. I think that I have my messgae configured correctly but I am still not recieving data. Do you have any code for how you configured your message or scale?

thank you

I managed to communicate the weight indicator with a SCADA but the data it is giving me is not the one reflected in the indicator.

the display show 5 lb and de value in the SCADA is -0.00000000000000000016

someone will know the conversion factor