1747-sn to sdn

roxusa

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a machine currently running on an SLC L532 with RIO on the 1747-SN
I attached the upstream machine to it with a DCM card for the upstream interlocks back when it was installed instead of doing the hard wire to the relays they provided. I also sent their fault codes to the main machine HMI since this piece of equipment had no HMI
Now I am looking to replace the Main machine controls with Micrologix 1400 with Ethernet and replace the RIO with 1400's as well
My question is can I change the DCM card I put in the upstream machine with a SDN and connect it to a 1400 to communicate or is there a better option
Worst case I could hook up the interlocks hard wired but would loose the fault screens unless I added a HMI to the downstream machine, This was an option on this model that I guess someone didn't get
Looking for options, Thanks

I personally don't recommend using distributed MicroLogix controllers for a single machine, unless the operation of the machine really lends itself to independent control.

There's no practical way to connect MicroLogix controllers with DeviceNet anymore; there was never a 1762-style DeviceNet adapter or scanner, and the 1761-NET-DNI is obsolete.

If you insist on using MicroLogix 1400 controllers, you will have to use EtherNet/IP messaging. If you use CompactLogix, you can run distributed I/O over DeviceNet or EtherNet/IP.

If you wanted to functionally replace the 1747-DCM Direct Communication Module, you could install a Prosoft MVI46-DFNT module. That could be set up to emulate SLC data tables over EtherNet/IP, allowing you to send messages to it similar to the way you would be communicating with the MicroLogix 1400 controllers that you're "using for Remote I/O".

If conversion to CompactLogix wasn't in the cards, and you have DeviceNet experience, my approach would be to change the SLC-5/03 to an SLC-5/05, then replace the 1747-SN with a 1747-SDN, replace the 1747-DCM with a 1747-SDN (in Slave Mode) and replace the remote 1747 chassis with 1734 POINT I/O on DeviceNet.

What issues should I be aware of in using the Micrologix 1400 and ethernet messaging between units. I went this route for the HSE inputs on the 1400's to use on each section only for auto setup, This is a corrugated folding carton machine that has 5 sections that open on tracks. I have a similar machine that came in with Automation Direct PLC's set up the same way.