1791 DS - IB8XOB8 / A DeviceNet Safety Module Replacement

Rob S.

We have a DeviceNet Safety Module 1791DS-IB8XOB8/A that we need toreplace. It is faulting out from from time to time , and Rockwell Tech Support says it is the module. It seems like you cannot just change it out and go. You need to "Reset Ownership" . I don't want to make it worse and have to reconfigure the module or anything like that. What is the best way to do thiswithout making a mess. I just don't understand why it needs to be so difficult.I have the manual open and I am reading a few things about it. Any simple tips for doing this ?Thanks in advance and have a good week.

You didn't mention how the Safety Module is being controlled, but I don't know that it makes a difference. Speaking from my experience, I have a number of the 1791DS-IB8XOB8 modules on a Devicenet system with a SmartGuard 600 as the master controller. Each safety device is assigned a "safety network number." This code is stored in the device and has to jive with the code in the master controller. If I swap out a module, I have to use RSNetworx to reprogram the SmartGuard with the new safety network number for that device. It's not a big deal but does require RSNetworx software and a Devicenet adapter (1784-U2DN) to tap into the network.

It is controlled by a 1756-L61S ControlLogix 5561 Safety Controller. What happens if you just click " Reset Ownership" ?Thanks,

Check the devicenet module rev number

We had the same issue after replacing a safety devicenet module. But finally we realized new module has new revision number. So we have to goto properties on devicenet module and change the revision number to 1.3 (it was 1.2).
Make sure before you change it you have to unlock your device and go offline