Red Lion Crimson 3.0 and J1939 CAN=> HELP!

Brian@HCI

Hello everyone,

Brian the Newb here again regarding Crimson 3.0 and J1939 CAN protocols. I had searched the archives and I DID find a couple of discussions about this topic BUT nothing that addressed my specific issue - so this is legitimate my friends!

Here's the deal==> I want to use the J1939 CAN module for some of our actuators. When I am in Crimson, I try to set up the module ( happens successfully) and then I set up the corresponding J1939 interface and then it's related ECU and the corresponding data blocks. Everything is fine - EXCEPT.....

I have specific CUSTOM PGN's that I have to set up that are proprietary to this manufacturer.... there seems to be a bug or the Red Lion folks didn't realize this would be an issue BUT if you try to set up a custom PGN that has a value GREATER than 0xFFFF - the software chokes and forces you to use any number BELOW 0xFFFF!

This simply WILL NOT WORK since the actuators EXPECT any information they send back to be on a PGN larger than 0xFFFF!!

So here are my questions==>

1.) Do I really need to communicate to the actuator with BLOCKS of data that are specified with custom PGN's or can I simply just map the TAG's directly to the messages to and from the actuators? (Again if this is stupid - I'm new!)

2.) IF I do need the PGN's that are custom - is there any way around this? Do I use another manufacturer's J1939 module? Can the Crimson software be ignored for this particular point and that data just has to be 'handled' via my coding to make it be able to be used?

Keep in mind I only need to send command data to these devices and then receive feedback from them to control my process. I do NOT need to send this data to OTHER devices outside of the Graphite HMI and its registers.

So what do I do?

Thanks a ton

Brian

Shortt,

I have taken a look at that document yet unfortunately it was unable to help. What I had to end up doing was purchase a 3rd party's Modbus TCP to J1939 gateway device to be able to solve the communications protocols.

The problem is that Red Lion does NOT support PGN's higher than 65536. Since I am using a manufactuer's device that definitely has a PGN way above this value - the whole Red Lion solution falls apart.

Red Lion has been contacted about this same issue MANY times since 2011 from what they have told me - but I think they are either refusing to do anything to remedy it or they think it is low priority.

Brian