Safe Line Metal Detaector from Mettler Toledo

Dear everyone,

I am quite new here, I would like to ask anyone if you know how to solve fault 08 on the metal detector. Were having some trouble to communicate with the distributor coz we live here in the Marshall Islands and the distributor is in China.

Please someone help. Thank you!

Regards,
Xian

TRY: Onboard battery low. When Fault 08 shows press top right soft key until it clears.

TRY: Onboard battery low. When Fault 08 shows press top right soft key until it clears.

Thank you for the kind reply

We already contacted the supplier and they gave us a new keypanel. The first few hours its working properly however after that the monitor screen shows again Fault 08. We tried pressing the top key that you suggested, its working but only for a few minutes. Our technician is asking is it maybe the conveyor is the problem? or the model is not compatible?

Thanks and looking forward to your response

Hi. We had a working machine in July 2014. Then something happend, and we get on a screen: Fault 09 and temporary fault 03.
Service guy told us about error on board with accu and processor on main unit boards. We send this board to England to repair. They changed a accu and clean the circuit board. Repaired about 200 pounds.
Now we connected all and get a new error: FAULT 08 and tomnporary FAULT 03.
We are pressing then the top right soft key button and machine work qood. But the sensitivity is VERY LOW!
For example we need quite big spreey can to detector's work.
We have a setting at: sens 199, boost is on and phase is 0 degree.

Someone can help to increase sensitivity?

We can't also go into QA INSPECTOR MODE and QA OPERATOR MODE.

We want to check wires continuity, as hagos said.

And moybe someone knows how to totally reset safeline signature?

We had check the wires continuity. That's not a problem.
When the board has a broken battery, there could be a problem with a board's software.
What do u think about reupload software?

How to skip a fault message on a safeline metal detector

I’m repairing a PPH SAFELINE METAL DETECTOR and appear a FAULT 8 MESSAGE.

I KNOW HOW TO REPAIR IT BUT:

APPEARS THE FAULT MESSAGE BUT I CAN'T SKIP IT TO GET ON THE MENU FROM THE MACHINE.

Does someone know how to skip it?

I’m repairing a PPH SAFELINE METAL DETECTOR and appear a FAULT 8 MESSAGE.

I KNOW HOW TO REPAIR IT BUT:

APPEARS THE FAULT MESSAGE BUT I CAN'T SKIP IT TO GET ON THE MENU FROM THE MACHINE.

Does someone know how to skip it?

You should post this on a new thread with the model number of the metal detector so that I can pull up a manual.

safeline nightmare

Hello everyone. I have a big problem with an old Safeline Mettler Toledo Metal detector model MD assembled by sassib Packaging Italy.

The fault is on the CPU board (see picture). I know that because I had 2 units. I swiched the boards and after I saw that the CPU board is faulty, I switched the CPUs between the boards (HD63b09). That looks like was a really bad ideea because now, both cpu boards have the same problem - no text on lcd, no detection, nothing but some leds on). o_O

Looks like, somehow the programmable logic array (U9 = PALCE16v8h - with the white label "DEC 3" ) died. I came to this conclusion after I bought and tested ALL the IC's from that board. The eeprom is ok(also i readed the binary file before switching the procesors). Does someone here have a good or faulty board? I need the JED or BIN dump file from the U9 chip.
I am in trouble because the working PCB died in my hands.

Any sugestions?
Thank you !

safeline detector metale .jpg

Hello everyone. I have a big problem with an old Safeline Mettler Toledo Metal detector model MD assembled by sassib Packaging Italy.

Looks like, somehow the programmable logic array (U9 = PALCE16v8h - with the white label "DEC 3" ) died. I came to this conclusion after I bought and tested ALL the IC's from that board. The eeprom is ok(also i readed the binary file before switching the procesors). Does someone here have a good or faulty board? I need the JED or BIN dump file from the U9 chip.

Any sugestions?
Thank you !

I bet you couldn't read the programming of the PALCE16v8h even if you had a fully functioning chip. There's a security bit that prevents that and every manufacturer is about 100% likely to have that enabled.

You are basically screwed.

There was no reason for the 6309 (Hitachi copy of Motorola 6809) CPU to die though. Unless is was static discharge.

Your only option is to replace it.

PS. Let me change my mind. I think it's more likely you ruined the CPU by putting it on the faulty board. But if you could find another CPU and put it in the working board, you at least have one functioning unit. Or are there other problems with that board as well?

Last edited:
Actually I CAN unprotect the PALCE and read the contents. There is TNM5000 programmer that can unprotect this chip only (lucky me). I programmed a PALCE and protected the fw inside with elnec programmer, unlocked with the other programmer and then back on the elnec, verified the content and it was the same, nice and unprotected :)

I already bought the most components, replaced the CPU with another 3, it is the same. I verified the circuits between the ic-s. I can't explain myself, somehow, the PALCE became faulty (maybe when I desoldered). That fw is the only one that I don't have. And here is another thing: If I modify some bits in the JED file, the board is doing something, because the Watchdog deactivates, and some leds blinks, so I think that the only problem is the corrupted fw.

All I need is to make that board work again :(

I attached a picture with machine, for reference, and a text with the palce content

Safeline-Metal-Detector-300Khz-5.jpg

Attachments

• palce dump after cpu change.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 16
Actually I CAN unprotect the PALCE and read the contents. There is TNM5000 programmer that can unprotect this chip only (lucky me). I programmed a PALCE and protected the fw inside with elnec programmer, unlocked with the other programmer and then back on the elnec, verified the content and it was the same, nice and unprotected :)

I already bought the most components, replaced the CPU with another 3, it is the same. I verified the circuits between the ic-s. I can't explain myself, somehow, the PALCE became faulty (maybe when I desoldered). That fw is the only one that I don't have. And here is another thing: If I modify some bits in the JED file, the board is doing something, because the Watchdog deactivates, and some leds blinks, so I think that the only problem is the corrupted fw.

All I need is to make that board work again :(

I attached a picture with machine, for reference, and a text with the palce content

That JEDEC file doesn't look right. It looks like it's from an unprogrammed PAL.

Didn't you have two board? Could you read the other PAL?

Having designed a couple of boards with similar processors in the past, the programmable logic is usually employed to do address decoding for RAM, ROM and I/O devices. And other misc stuff as well if you have any room left.

If you are left with no option you could troubleshoot the board like the designer would. You have to verify that the CPU is working first. For instance by putting in an EPROM filled with NOP instructions. Then you could measure on the bus that it is working and reading instructions from ROM.

It's also possible to reverse engineer the board and figure out the programming of the PAL from that. Lots of hard work though. You'll have to disassemble the EPROM to figure out what addresses are accessed. I don't know how many other I/O devices are connected to the CPU - your pic doesn't have enough resolution. Anyway, reverse engineering could take A LOT of time. You'll have to check that timing is right too.

Sorry, can't help you more than that...

Last edited:
I understand. Thank you very much anyway. I will try to find a board somewhere in this world, good or faulty.

I guess that the other PAL chip is faulty too because after I unlocked it, it gives me a different code on every reading.

In this moment I am sure that content of PAL is not right.

Is there a software that can translate something from a JED file? Maybe an error could be spotted. I still can't believe that I can't find this board anywhere. This board has more than 20 years old and I guess when I heated up the pins (@200 degrees Celsius) in order to change the CPU, the heat "helped" the PAL logic array to "forgot" his program (in datasheet, the Pattern Data Retention Time is @10 years).

Update: I made the schematic and the chip enable pins of the RAM and EEPROM are connected to this logic array.
and attached the dump from the other IC, maybe someone can give me an ideea.

Thanks.

Last edited:
How much time/money has been spent already?

Chances are the detection head is good. Quit screwing around swapping parts around (as obviously something is shorting/damaging components somewhere) and just order a new control board and all IC's. There is an inherent danger to this sort of thing when dealing with different revision numbers of electronics equipment. Usually, it isn't an issue, but in your case it is.

Get a new control board/COMPLETE set of chips for this system, install and reconfigure and just be done with the problem.

I already replaced all chips but the firmware is the problem, and I cannot find it anywhere.

I would buy the board of course but I cannot find it anywhere. It is just too old.
Thanks!

The fault is on the CPU board (see picture). I know that because I had 2 units. I swiched the boards and after I saw that the CPU board is faulty, I switched the CPUs between the boards (HD63b09). That looks like was a really bad ideea because now, both cpu boards have the same problem - no text on lcd, no detection, nothing but some leds on). o_O

Any sugestions?
Thank you !

saludos yo lo puedo solucionar el faul 8 faul 3 faul todos
si deseas ablame y te ayudo copn gusto