Prohibit overwrite our PLC (Allen Bradley)

Tepic

Hi everyone can you give me some guidance in this topic (i'm not much experienced with rockwell). Sometimes other company try download the program, but they overwrite our PLC can i lock rewriting it or prohibit it for them (but read must be possible)? We use Studio 5000.

Thank you for help

They use to offer a Service Edition of the software, this would allow them to view but not edit the program but I dont think this would stop someone from opening it with a full version and was made for maintenance departments

It would be nice if the OEM could set a 'lock' bit but I dont know of one

Yes, often programer from external company overwrite it. I must somehow forbid it .Then i try ask if it's possible set password for overwriting.

Are these third parties contractors? Tell them to stop doing it or they don't get paid and are banned from future contracts. Done.

Just guessing... but I would say Tepic is the OEM and the end user is modifying the program, then call and say "ITS NOT WORKING!, your program is broken" not that I have ever had that happen before ( :mad: ) but I did have to show them what they changed and why it stopped working but at that point its your word against theirs and just better if it was avoidable, like locking the program or maybe with a timestamp

Most companies dont like to hear that their night shift made a change to the program so I am sending you another bill

Just guessing... but I would say Tepic is the OEM and the end user is modifying the program, then call and say "ITS NOT WORKING!, your program is broken" not that I have ever had that happen before ( :mad: ) but I did have to show them what they changed and why it stopped working but at that point its your word against theirs and just better if it was avoidable, like locking the program or maybe with a timestamp

Unless the software distribution is managed instead of passed on to the maintenance guys on a USB stick.

This being said, doesn't Rockwell, the [irony]best[/irony] PLC brand in the world have the capability of protecting it via password?

RS5000 & Studio5000 are part of the FactoryTalk suite, and as such security can be configured with privileges per user.

As mentioned, the simplest thing to do is to turn the keyswitch into RUN mode. That prohibits all edits and downloads, but allows monitoring and uploads and read/write of data.

There have been several different generations of functionality for ControlLogix "Source Protection" and various degrees of access and functionality via FactoryTalk Security services. You could implement a complex security system that allows different users monitored access to specific functions, or just create an ordinary Password.

A good user manual for these is the Logix 5000 Controllers Security Programming Manual:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm016_-en-p.pdf

This being said, doesn't Rockwell, the [irony]best[/irony] PLC brand in the world have the capability of protecting it via password?

Yes but all that I have used will stop you from even seeing the code, just a guess but I think the OP needs to have them see the code for troubleshooting but wants them lockout from changing the program

Yes but all that I have used will stop you from even seeing the code, just a guess but I think the OP needs to have them see the code for troubleshooting but wants them lockout from changing the program

Other brands implement three access levels with password. None, Read, Read-Write. It's up to the OEM to define what it should be.

That keyswitch on the front of the processor is about as secure as a chocolate teapot.

A carefully filed terminal screwdriver is all it needs to turn it. I have seen it done many times, even done it myself.....

That keyswitch on the front of the processor is about as secure as a chocolate teapot.

A carefully filed terminal screwdriver is all it needs to turn it. I have seen it done many times, even done it myself.....

The point is, if you cannot control physical access to [The PLC, The Server, The Core Network Switch], you cannot control access at all, and your system is completely vulnerable to any form of attack.

like Ken Roach said, the key switch is the solution, and put a lock to the access door, and that's all, if you are the man in charge about the PLC program then no body can't touch it without you

like Ken Roach said, the key switch is the solution, and put a lock to the access door, and that's all, if you are the man in charge about the PLC program then no body can't touch it without you

Unless required by legislation, there is no way a company is installing a control panel with a padlock on the door in any plant I'm in charge of... unless of course they pay us for loss of production and carry out maintenance for free.

I'm actually quite shocked that the protection solution for Rockwell is the switch in the front panel... which I'm sure is the same for every processor and therefore not a security at all. Simply a deterrent with the price tag of the cheapest processor.