panelview replacement

timalg

Hi friends,

please I need your help ,I use a PANEL, VIEW PLUS 1250 COMPLETE WITH LOGIC MODULE, 24 VDC, RDT12C C A C/W 2711P-RP1, MFG ALLEN BRADLEY P/N 2711P / RP1.I would like to order a new one.one vendor offered me allen bradley logic module,panel view plus 6 part number:2711-PRP8D,24VDC,512MB .

and the other vendor offered ( 2711P-T12C4D1 Panelview Plus Terminal (RDT12C RP1) so please how to know which of the two HMIs is suitable for my application regarding to the factory talk software,size,...etc
thanks

They all use factory talk
They are the same panel cut out. Because they dont make the panelview + 1250 it has been replaced with the panelview +6. and +6 is being replaced with the panelview +7.

The issue for me is the cost which does not make sense.
There are about 42 of the panelview + 1250 left at the factory for about $4500.00
The panelview +6 is about $7000.00 which is a direct replacement and uses the same communications module.
And the panelview +7 is about $3000.00

The panelview +7 is Ethernet only and different cut out size, but if your using SLC 500 and have a unused slot you can get a Ethernet module to put in for $1625.00

Last edited:
2711P-RDT12C: 1250 touch color display
2711P-RP1: Logic module with 64 MB flash/64 MB RAM, DC input.

2711P-RP8D:
PanelView Plus 6 Logic Module, 512 MB Flash/RAM, Communication: Ethernet, RS-232, Network interface for Communication Module, Windows CE 6.0, 24V DC Power Input, No Options

2711P-T12C4D1:
Allen-Bradley 2711P-T12C4D1 PanelView Plus 1250 Color Terminal 12.1 inch, Touch, Standard Communications (Ethernet & RS-232), DC power, 64 MB Flash, 64 MB RAM

Thank you for your answers.can I run my current application on these HMIs,do I have to purchase a new factory talk software version.and what are the necessary to do this upgrade

Yes, just make a new .mer for the new panelview plus.

The basic questions that you are asking makes me believe you dont have a clue about factory talk view and you will require some one to do it for you. Again, these are just basic questions you are asking and your A/B rep should have been able explain it to you.

Yes, just make a new .mer for the new panelview plus.

The basic questions that you are asking makes me believe you dont have a clue about factory talk view and you will require some one to do it for you. Again, these are just basic questions you are asking and your A/B rep should have been able explain it to you.
Thank you for your answer,I don't have too much experience with factory talk view.I am asking this question because I am afraid to buy a new hmi.and then my application will not run.also sometimes the A/B will not answer

The PanelView Plus that you currently have and the PanelView Plus 6 consist of two separate components: the display module and the logic module. The display module is the physical touchscreen that you interact with. The logic module is the processor attached to the back of the display module, which stores the user program and has the power supply and communication ports.
Two separate items, both of which can be ordered separately. However, you can also order a complete unit, which will come with both the display module and the logic module, and has a different part number again. It can be a little confusing when one vendor offers you a separate logic module and display module, and the other offers you a complete unit - they may both be selling you exactly the same thing, but with different part numbers!
Here's what you currently have:

2711P-RDT12C: PanelView Plus 1250 Display Module
2711P-RP1: Panelview Plus Logic Module, 64MB, 24VDC power supply
If ordered as a complete unit, the part number would be 2711P-T12C20D1

Now, those particular models have been superseded (a couple of times, in fact), and are no longer available. What your vendors have quoted you is the PanelView Plus 6 series, which is physically identical to the PanelView Plus series you currently have. It has some software differences, but it is completely backwards compatible - that is, the Panelview Plus 6 will happily run programs developed for your older Panelview Plus. So all you need to do is work out the equivalent Panelview Plus 6 part number.

That brings me to the most important question: what is wrong with your existing HMI? If the screen is cracked or damaged, but otherwise it is still working, you may be able to just replace the display module and keep the existing logic module. If the screen itself is good, but the logic module won't load the program or something similar, you may be able to just replace the logic module and keep the existing display module. Or, perhaps you aren't sure of the problem, or the whole thing has sustained damage and failed, in which case you could either buy a separate display module and logic module, or buy a complete unit.

Panelview Plus 6 1250 Display Module: 2711P-RDT12C
Panelview Plus 6 1250 Logic Module: 2711P-RP8D
Panelview Plus 6 1250 Complete Unit: 2711P-T12C4D8

Basically, your first vendor has offered you only the logic module. This is a viable solution only if your display module is still functioning correctly and is compatible with the PanelView Plus 6 logic modules.
Rockwell Automation Knowledgebase Article 115612 (access: everyone) specifies which display modules are compatible with the newer Panelview Plus 6 logic modules. Unfortunately, your logic module is not...
The following display modules have 5-wire touch screen, and therefore will not work with the PanelView Plus 6:
2711P-RDT7C / Series A
2711P-RDB7C / Series A
2711P-RDT12C / Series A
2711P-RDB12C / Series A
2711P-RDB12C / Series B revision A
So, unfortunately, the first vendor has offered you an incomplete solution that will not work for you.

The second vendor has offered you a complete replacement - their part number represents a complete unit incorporating both a display module and a logic module. This product will run your application correctly.

Last edited: