FTV-Studio Global objects resizing

Thanks, that worked. Took me a minute to find the settings as it don't ask when you create the object.

Not seeing a way to make it set for some objects and not others or to be able to change it after you copy it to a screen.

It looks like you have to change it each time before you make a new copy. :(

You have to change the setting in the copy that is in the global object area, the original object itself. That should port the new setting to all copies created based off of the model.

Don't seem to work that way.

In the Global Objects screen I can right click on an object and open the Global Objects Defaults. The LinkSize is then set true or false for all objects copied after the change. I don't see a way to set LinkSize on a per-object basis. Nothing in the properties panel or anything. The objects copied to a process screen seem to keep whatever setting they were pasted with. ???

When you copy a global object to a display, it creates it with the default parameters as they existed at the time you copied it. If you change a global object default, it does not update any instances already copied out onto other screens; it just means that the next time you copy that global object it will paste with the new settings.

Your existing objects will have to be changed one at a time. Off the top of my head I can't remember exactly where it is, but I think if you right click on the object there's a menu item for global object settings or similar. Or else, bring up your parameter explorer and select the objects one at a time, I'm pretty sure the settings appear in the parameter explorer. Hopefully there aren't too many - if there are, at least the tediousness of the process will give you plenty of time to sear the memory into your brain so that you never forget to do it again ;)

If that vague gesturing isn't enough to help you find it, post back and I'll fire up my FTView VM and take some screenshots

Last edited:
I think we all understand how it works it’s just odd and not supper straight forward.

So, I want a global object. I make an object and place it on a Global Objects screen. As ASF had last said and I had seen you can change the types of linked properties but the Global Object Defaults will only effect objects placed then after. Even though the Global Object Defaults only appears if you right click on an object but any object, not just global ones. Anyway…

It would be nice to be able to set the link options for each object on Global Objects screen but what can you do. It’s seems like an odd way to go about it, making you change the link settings over and over as you paste Global Objects.

There is a GroupLinkSize True/False (only after the object has been pasted to a screen) setting but for some reason it would not work. I had to paste them again. The new ones will let me change the GroupLinkSize True/False setting. ???

I also came back to my Global Objects screen at one point to find that all the objects had been removed. ???

I think we all understand how it works it’s just odd and not supper straight forward.

There is a GroupLinkSize True/False (only after the object has been pasted to a screen) setting but for some reason it would not work. I had to paste them again. The new ones will let me change the GroupLinkSize True/False setting. ???

I also came back to my Global Objects screen at one point to find that all the objects had been removed. ???

I think the idea of global objects was a good try (15 years ago), but they never finished it so that it lacks of functionality and usability.

Last edited:
Thank you

There's a Link Size parameter that you have to uncheck. When you define the global object, you can define whether the Link Size parameter is true or false by default - by default, the default is True, and so each instance of the global object you create has Link Size set to True, and you have to manually set it to False if you want to re-size it. If you know that you're going to want all the instances of the global object to be different sizes, change the Link Size default setting of the global object to False, and all instances will initially be created at the same size as the definition, but can then be resized.

Thank you ASF. It helped a lot.