AB SLC 5/03 and AB 1770 KF3 Interface Module

yuzu

we have a very old system running the SLC 5/03 with a 1770 KF3 interface module
the computer, PC is continually freezing during operation during which only a manual reboot will fix the problem
as such, we think it is a computer issue and am in the process of getting a new computer

however to transfer the system over,
i am not really sure what is involved.

i know the KF3 connects to the PLC via a DH-485 link
and to the PC via a RS 232 link

will the new PC just need a normal serial port for this?
are there any drivers necessary to connect the KF3 to the new PC?
i noticed the KF3 has its own power, does it have memory as well?
can I hot swap it? will it lose data if I turn it off?

i do not have any drivers or documentation on this at all
are drivers available from the AB site?

i went through the user manual 1770-rn181_-en-p
but it was more about configuration and wiring

then in successfully connecting the KF3,
is it just a matter of simply a matter of uploading the PLC program to the new PC?

1) Yes, your new PC will need a real serial port; I don't think that the KF3 will work with a USB-to-serial converter(but I might be wrong)

2) The KF3 uses the RS-232 DF1 driver in RSLinx; open RSLinx on your current PC and write down the DF1 driver configuration settings so you can re-create it on the new machine

3) Yes, the KF3 has volatile and non-volitile memory; using the instructions in your user's manual (http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1770-um018_-en-p.pdf), do a save parameters before you take everything apart, just to be safe

4) Once you get the new PC installed and everything connected, Install your RSLogix500/RSLinx software on the new machine; set-up the DF1 driver per the settings you recorded in step 2. You should be ready to upload/download/go online

The KF3 will work with a usb to serial converter. You shouldn't lose any information in the KF3. The set-up is not that difficult. All the parameters are listed on the bottom of the KF3 module. Scroll through parameters and write them down. (not a bad idea to have this information anyway)

Another note: I believe the KF3 module has been discontinued by Allen-Bradley.

thanks for taking the time to reply
i have been put in charge of up-grading the system,
i had done one AB SLC 500 course,
and they did not cover hardware very well

with the PC continually freezing,
I do think it is a computer issue,
however, when this happens,
the manual controls on the gates are locked as well

the program is such that the manual controls are primary,
and should not lock with the software crashing
could there possible be a problem with the PLC itself?

i was thinking of up-grading to the SLC 5/05,
and go with a brand new system, up-grade to CiTect 6, new PC and new PLC

bill4261 - you are correct,
the KF3 modules are no longer available

The distributor had actually told me that now serial connections are just as fast as the DH-485, and it isnt a big deal to just use that instead. Is that correct? I can just stop using the KF3 altogether?

However, if the current PLC writes to DH-485 addressing, will I then need something with similar i/o, say a 1784-PKTX, and then this connecting to a PCI slot in my PC?