Convert RSS File To Work With Earlier Version of RSLogix 500

gaslinl

I am working with RSLogix 500 version 2.57.0.0

Whenever i try to open the attached file i get an "unexpected file format" error.

I am assuming this is because the file i have was last saved in a newer version of RSLogix 500.

I was wondering if someone could open the attached file and save it for an earlier version? or save it as an ACH file?

i was able to open your files

i have the same problem with my files can any help can try an open these files

Last edited:

I've looked at the file wirh a Hex Editor and Notepad. It does not resemble any other .rss file I have. What plain text I could see seems to validate that it is a RS500 type file. Here below are some excerpts from the file opened with Notepad. I post this with the hope that someone will know what it means and can be able to help you. Please provide any additional information or history you have. If you can provide pictures of the PLC it is supposed to be for, that might also give a clue. My best guess is that it was sent as an email and the email server added something or corrupted it.

Code:
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
MIME-Version: 1.0

=00=00=00=07MARXMAN=00R=8C=01=00=00=00"VIRTUALXP-76148!AB_ETH-1\10.1.1.10=

Document=3DRSLogix_500_Project/&H00000000
Name=3D"VBALogixProject"
HelpContextID=3D"0"
VersionCompatible32=3D"393222000"

=04RSLogix500=9BX=10=00=03=04VBA=F7=E2=10=00=05=04Win16=C1~=10=00=05=04Win3=
2=07=7F=10=00=03=04Mac=B3=B2=10=00=04=04VBA6=AD#=10=00=0F=04VBALogixProject=
Jb=10=00=06=00stdole=93`=10=00=13=04RSLogix_500_Project=96}=
Here is a link of an older thread about the same issue:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=58559
Try getting whoever sent you the file originally to zip it first then re-send it.

Last edited:
I tried using '7zip' to open it. RSLogix500 .RSS files usually open in 7zip as a directory structure. But 7zip can't open this one. I also think that it is damaged.

I have received a program for one of our machines from the OEM and they sent it in .hex format. Is there an easy way to get this converted over so I can open it with RSLogix 500? I am unable to upload for someone else to convert it as I had to sign a nondisclosure agreement to even get this format.

You did not present your Google results, so I will just make a general comment about compilers that they are processor dependant and that maybe the plc model is vital information.

.HEX File Association 2

File encoded with an early version of BinHex (binary-to-hexadecimal) encoding software; used for converting files to a text format that could be sent via e-mail without being corrupted; typically takes up more space than the original file.

Seems to me I once had to deal with something like this many many years ago . . . .
Pain in the rump, but it worked.

Sounds like maybe you might have to get this 'BinHex' program and go from Hex back to Bin . . . I would ask the guys who sent you the Hex file what I need to do with it.

Poet.