CompactLogix L33 to SLC 5/05 MSG

Thomas_Pabst

Hi,
I want to read and write from Logix L33er to SLC5/05, but cant get it to work.

I can ping the SLC from my laptop.
i Set the msg system like this.

*Configuration*
Message Type : SLC Typed Read
Source element: N110:0 (Tag in SLC)
Number of Elements: 2 (Got to Integers i want to read from)
Destination Element: FROM_COAT_1 (is created with 2 int.)

*Communication*
Path : 2, 192.168.1.243
Communication Method: CIP

I get error Code 16#1000, Illegal Command from local processor.
If i change path to 2, 192.168.1.243,1 ,1 i get error
16#0008 Unsupported Service request

i have tried path
1,1,2, 192.168.1.243
1,1,2, 192.168.1.243 ,1, 1
2, 192.168.1.243
2, 192.168.1.243,1,1
3, 192.168.1.243
3, 192.168.1.243,1,1

i am stuck, and dont know how to get the msg block to work.
What am i doing wrong?

Do i need to create something in the I/O configuration? i have the local modules connected to Compact logix PLC, but to i need to create a module for the SLC?

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

...Destination Element: FROM_COAT_1 (is created with 2 int.)...

I'm not sure from the above, so can you please confirm that the destination data type is an array of two INTs and not of data type DINT?

Regards,
George

Logix_INT_Data_Type.jpg

That's OK so.

Another annoyingly simple but "have to ask" question...

In the SLC the integer Data File "N110" does exist and has at least two elements?

N110:0
N110:1

No misread numbering or anything?

I'm sorry for these basic questions, but it's better be clear than left wondering.

As for the path...

The SLC controllers are not supported nor are they required to be in the I/O Configuration. Even for supported controllers, they do not need to be in the I/O Configuration when using MSG instructions to communicate. The MSG instruction's Communications setup handles all the necessary CIP routing.

The newer 5370 CompactLogix controllers have embedded Ethernet so they do not need complex routing to get from the processor to the Ethernet port like "1,1,2,192.168.1.243" for "backplane, slot, port, IP address" and so on. This is more for chassis based ControlLogix with the processor in one slot and an Ethernet module in another. The newer CompactLogix just need "2,192.168.1.243" for "Port, destination IP address".

Because the SLC also has embedded Ethernet, the IP address at the end of the Logix message path will reach the SLC Ethernet port and processor without any need to add further routing like "2,192.168.1.243,1,1" for "Port, IP address, backplane, slot", etc.

So your path...

...is correct.

The path is working because the error message actual refers to a response from the SLC. The SLC is the local processor here, not the L33ER. So the message is reaching the SLC but the SLC is detecting some issue with the format of the message or the data type and returning that error.

I've usually only seen this issue when data types are incorrect, but if yours is fine, I'm not so sure at the moment?

Hmm....looks like I've also broken the Knowledgebase?

G.

KBase_Dead.png

Uhm, about you'r ""Another annoyingly simple but "have to ask" question""

I went in the 500, while thinking ofcourse i set it for 2 int..
but, i must have been abit to fast, because i only set it for 1 int..

So sorry to waste you'r time, when it was so obvious.

Though i learnt about the Path now, thanks for the help and time..

No time wasted at all my friend and I'm glad you have learned something new.

It also hammers home the point that no question, however fundamentally basic it may seem, is worth not asking.

Happy messaging!

Regards,
George

Hi Firejo,

No need to guess...

The message path was fine. Thomas had it set correctly initially but then started trying different paths thinking that was the issue, but it was not. The problem was the integer Data File for the SLC...

Thomas_Pabst said:
...I went in the 500, while thinking ofcourse i set it for 2 int..
but, i must have been abit to fast, because i only set it for 1 int...

When Thomas created the integer Data File N110 it was set to the default of 1 element, N110:0. The CompactLogix was trying to read two elements from this Data File. He had forgotten to set the Data File elements to 2.

Simple as that.

Regards,
George