PLCs & SAP integration

Nino

I am new to this whole PLC thing.

My company is going through an SAP implementation and we would like the PLCs on the manufacturing lines to be able to communicate with SAP in the future.

1. Do we need any particular brand of PLC?
2. Do we need any particular software (middleware)? I am told that some of the PLCs are connected to a PC with an ethernet cable and they are using "Koyo PLC Direct" to access the data. Does this make sense? Is there somewhere that I can find out more about that software online?

We are a small company, so as the only IT person here, I need to know about EVERYTHING! Right now I know next to nothing about PLCs, so any help you can give me is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Technically you may not need to know much about PLC's except the fact that you can acquire data from them and have available. IF you are going to be required to setup the data acquisition process then you may want to visit http://www.automationdirect.com (this is Koyo). In this case I would look at obtaining training for the plc's, it will show you how to work with the communications/network features, acquiring data, manipulating/using registers etc.

Another option is to hire an experienced Engineer to setup the data acquisition aspect and learn the system as it is created.

I can also state from past experience with SAP that you be first in line for training, hopefully its offered, if you havent gotten it yet. SAP is an awesome program but very detailed oriented.

SAP !

Have you looked at Rockwell RsSQL with the
"Gateway to SAP" option.

RsLinx being an OPC server should allow you to connect
any of your own OPC compliant PLCS to it.

Then use RsSQL to conduit the information into
MS SQL and use the "gateway" to SAP to finsih the job.