AB DF1 driver in Siemens ProTool/Pro

Imi'ike

I am having trouble using ASCII text with the Allen-Bradley DF1 driver in Siemens ProTool/Pro. I am using a TP270 – 6” and an Allen-Bradley SLC 5/04. I have the driver working and the TP270 and the SLC 5/04 communicating. I am successfully passing data using the B, N, F, I, and O files. However, I can not get the ASCII text files to transfer – that is, the ST file in the SLC.

In the ProTool tag properties window, I have selected the PLC just as I have with the other file types. The type is ASCII, the file type is A (it is the only one that allows ASCII), the file number as 10, the element as 0, and the length as 4.

TagProperties.jpg

In the SLC program I have ST10:0 with four characters.

When I load the TP and SLC and go to the screen with the output field, the TP displays an error window with the following number and message:

Tag PlcVersion: PLC address error

Where “PlcVersion” is the tag I created.

Does anyone know how to get Allen-Bradley DF1 driver in Siemens ProTool to read an ST file in a SLC5/04?

Hello,

Instead of using ST - string type file try using Ascii - A type

file in the SLC500 data table. You have selected A in the Pro tool

so you need to match it with A in the SLC500.

For all practical purposes there is very little difference between

A and ST in the SLC500. In fact if you need to use ST just move ST to A before reading it.

Thanks Jiri, your instructions were terrific and my project is working as I wanted. I had never noticed the ASCII data file type in RSLogix before.