b & r version conflict

schrader

i am trying to open a b&r project. I get an error thrown up saying that the program was created using v2.0.0. I have v2.3.0.9. Anyhow i clicked the upgrade to newer version button. I now get a message saying "this selection is not supported. Target:m68k,Version:v2.25. Is this the operating system on the cpu or what. I am new to pcc's and have only ever worked with siemens, allen bradley, mitsi plc's etc. When i click the above message my project disappears completely. What am i doing wrong

update

I managed to get past the last message. When i went online with the machine and tried to monitor to see if the program was the same as the one on the machine i get another message
"unable to switch to online mode.C:\BR_AS_230_L001\as\system\V0225\m68k\dbtracer.br not available! "

Anyone any ideas. Where can i get this file. Surely the software is backwards compatible

I wouldn't bet the farm on that.

I've got 4 B&R machines, and they've been nightmares from the get-go. I wish I could offer you something constructive, but my mind reels from the horror of those memories when I've been forced to tangle with these ogres. So all I can offer are sympathies. You are surely in trouble.

TM

You need to get the correct PLC operating system files (V2.25). This can be downloaded from their website. btw - which model plc are you using (PP41,CP476,etc..) ?

Oh and you don't need a CD key to download OS updates etc..

i managed to get an upgrade disc from the machine supplier. B & r were extremely unhelpful. The software we have was supplied by the machine supplier and is licensed to them.B & R technical help said we need our own license before we can get any technical help. Asked for a price for software 6 weeks ago. No response as of yet.Machine supplier doesn't even use there systems anymore. Anyway i installed some files, i think they were called v266 upgrades. Seems to be working now anyway.
the cpu's are cp260 from the 2005 system range

Wow I'm dissapointed to hear they were so unhelpful to you. I worked in their US headquaters for 5 years and I certainly would have acted differently. I'm assuming you talked to B&R in the UK. I only know 1 person there and he is quite good.

The code that the machine builder owns the rights to is only the application software and not the B&R automation studio software. Anyone can purchase automation studio. You can diagnose many PLC problems using automation studio without even having the builders application software.
In fact you can download B&Rs PVI transfer software for free from their website - it gives end users even more powerful troubleshooting/backup powers. For an end user such as yourself I would have suggested that approach. You can review the PLC error log, backup application files, look at variable values....and do all kinds of other things for free!
Well glad to hear that you are all set. You can always email me if you ever have more questions/problems.

for some reason this board won't let people send me emails even though I selected that option.
anyway:
[email protected]
or
www.matthewdfenn.com

Matt

Last edited:
thanks for the information. It was b & r uk but i will mention no names. even their spares service is quite slow. Well by e-mail anyway. our parts person always e-mails suppliers so he has a quote to pass on to purchasing. I'll keep you in mind.

Hey. The problem is solved simply. if you complain about the version of the project, then run BrMenu.exe and select the update run time v 2. **, after installation, restart the computer. Ready!:site: