Password Protect GoToDisplay button

JZerb

so im working in CCW with a Panelview 800 and i would like to set it so that the GoToConfig button is only accessible by certain users. In the past in FTVS what i have done is just set a GoToDiplay button within the Maint screen that was labeled GoToConfig, but really just brought the user to another screen that then had the actual GoToConfig button on it. If the logged in user didnt have security rights to the GoToConfig screen then they wouldnt be allowed past it.

I could do the same thing in CCW, but i have also read some other options.

Option 1= do whats discussed above
Option 2=In CCW in the Tag Editor, create an External string tag to hold the System "Current User" string data. Go to Global Connections and under System Tags find "Current User" and assign the "Curr_User" String tag to its Destination Tag. For each Screen Object that requires one of the above boolean visibility references. Go to the Object's Properties>Connections and assign the relevant boolean tag to the Visibility Tag property. Create 3 External Boolean tags to be used for visibility switching within the PLC program. In the MicroLogix 1400 program, use ASR (ASCII String Compare) instructions to compare the string data from the PanelView Component with the predefined User strings and if any of the ASR instructions evaluate TRUE, then set the equivalent boolean bit to indicate that user is logged in.

my issue with this option is that IIRC the update rate for the global outputs in the Panelview 800 is 60 seconds, which is a pretty long time to have to wait for a button to appear on the screen if the proper user is logged in.

Option 3= Have a numeric input on the screen if the entry is correct it would set a bit within the PLC which would then in turn be set to the visibility of the button you a protecting.

any advice is appreciated, seems like all ways would work, just not sure which would be the best. it seems since CCW is a bit more limited in terms of button animation that the best route may be the longest so that if i wanted to also add other buttons within the HMI screen that were user dependent, the coding to do so would already be in place.

The nice thing about option#3 is that after you have moved on and everyone has forgotten the password (or the security has been corrupted and the password no longer works), there is a way for technicians to find the password.

When I do option#3, I often place a note on the screen that the password is contained in the PLC code.

i may be leaning more towards option #3 due to the fact that the Global Tag update rate for the Panelview 800's is 60 seconds and that may prove to be too long to get what i need accomplished

so im working in CCW with a Panelview 800 and i would like to set it so that the GoToConfig button is only accessible by certain users. In the past in FTVS what i have done is just set a GoToDiplay button within the Maint screen that was labeled GoToConfig, but really just brought the user to another screen that then had the actual GoToConfig button on it. If the logged in user didnt have security rights to the GoToConfig screen then they wouldnt be allowed past it.

Can this be done?

Last edited:

Can this be done?

yes but not as easily as it can be done in FTVS.

you can setup a tag in the Global Connections tab in the Tags within CCW. That tag would point to a string tag in the PLC, then within the PLC youd have to write some logic to compare that Current User tag from the Panelview thats being read into the PLC to whatver user name youre trying to give certain access to certain buttons. Within that logic youd have to write a rung thats a String Compare instruction, and if that instruction evaluates as true it sets a boolean tag in the PLC. Then whatever button youre looking to give access to you would take that boolean tag in the PLC that would give you a value of 1 if the proper user is logged into the HMI, tie that tag to the Visibility of whatever button you want to show or not show. done.