syncing two servo driven conveyors

jimcav

I have a kinetics 6000 and a kinetics 6500 runing 2 different conveyors and ineed to sync there pockects over ethernet. Is there a simple way to do this?

Thanks
Jim Cav

AutoMax is asking if you can use one PLC control both axis? So that you can use tools already available in RS5K to synchronize the two axis

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the L45 does not support CIPMotion. I think the the L33erm will handle a SERCOS card. Then you can gear and cam to your heart's content.

(Full disclosure- I haven't used SERCOS-II in quite some time, so take my advice with a grain of salt.)

This is one of those situations where two low-powered controllers from different technological generations can't do what one high-powered controller can.

The 1768-L45 supports only SERCOS motion control over fiber-optic connections, using the 1768-M04SE module. The Ethernet modules available for the 1768-L45 (1768-ENBT) do not support CIP Motion over Ethernet.

The 1769-L33ERM supports only CIP Motion over Ethernet using its built-in Ethernet port. It does not support a 1768-bus connection or any other SERCOS interface.

You could do a Produced/Consumed Tag between these two controllers that gives the position and velocity of an axis, but it might not be fast or accurate enough to actually synchronize the position of two conveyors.

Another possibility might be to use the 2198-ABQE module, which is an Encoder Output module that synchronizes with CIP Motion axes over Ethernet. I don't have direct experience with that module, but it's worth looking into, to see if the servo drive(s) on the 1768-L45 system can accept an encoder input for gearing/tracking to the speed of the other conveyor.

The answer would have been easy a decade ago. Take the emulated encoder output from one drive and wire it to the input of the other drive. I don't know if these drives have that capability.

Of course, this won't work if you need phasing or registration type things.