PLC 5 calculate tons of slurry in silo

remullis

We currently use a level indicator in silo's where I would like to also give the operator tons of slurry based on the percentage of tank filled.

What instruction would be best suited for scaling say a 3393 cuft tank in relation to percentage full? This will be done in a plc 5 and possibly contrologix.

Thanks
rm

Depends on the shape of the silo, right ?

Calculating volume based on height of the contents is a classic math problem that level transmitters have solved with creative setpoint and model settings.

In a PLC, you have plenty more math instructions. For a flat-bottomed cylindrical silo, it's just the area (a constant you can calculate) multiplied by the height (a value you're measuring) times the mass-per-volume for the slurry.

The geometry gets a little more complex with a round-bottomed or spherical tank, of course.

Ken,

Right, so I know that my tank volume is 3393 cuft. I currently know where my level is, for example 15'0 in a 30' tank. What instruction could I use for scaling the 15' to 1/2 of 3393 cuft. I think I have the math figured out for tons in the 3393cuft tank. 15' would give me 1696.5 cuft x density = tons of slurry.

Will scaling with parameters convert the level in the tank to cuft if I know the volume of the tank? Or is there a better method?

I just realized SCP function is not used in a PLC5. What I want to do is scale.

Tank level 0-30'
and be linear 0-3393cuft, then cpt the cuft*density.

I just realized SCP function is not used in a PLC5. What I want to do is scale.

Tank level 0-30'
and be linear 0-3393cuft, then cpt the cuft*density.

Tank level * 113,1 = cuft (if linear, flat bottomed silo and tank level is measured from bottom)