Flash MicroLogix 1400 firmware through DF1?

Epy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, I've got a MicroLogix 1400 controller with a dead ethernet port. I'd like to update the firmware, but the download from Rockwell (ControlFLASH) seems to only want to use ethernet (asks for an IP address). Is there a way to take the .bin file supplied with ControlFLASH and upload it through the serial port? Thanks.

It shouldn't be an issue...It'll take forever though...
Using an RSLinx DF-1 driver, establish an RS232 (Serial) connection to the controller and ensure communications stability (if you loose the connectivity while upgrading the firmware your CPU my become a total brick!).
After establishing a "secure" connection via RSLinx just direct the path of ControlFlash to the just established DF-1 network (and cross your fingers!;))

Sorry, can you elaborate a little? I have the PLC connected through RSLinx, but when I run ControlFLASH, I see:

1) Select from the list (only option is 1766LEC)
2) Enter the IP address of the device

Not seeing an option to use RSLinx or anything else. I downloaded the firmware update for the ML1200 and saw that it brings up the selection dialog from RSLinx...no such luck for my 1400 though.

Yes, I've programmed and went online through RSLogix Micro & the serial port.

Well..Better later than never...
According to RA Literature and Knowledgebase, ML1400 cannot be ControlFlash-ed via DF-1; only the 1100, 1200 and 1500 ML series could have their firmware delivered serially.
Sorry for sending you for a wild geese chase...I have flashed plenty of MLs, some using DF-1, apparently never a ML1400...o_O

As we don't know your experience, as you only have 8 posts, and 4 of them are in this posting, can I ask you to explain how you know that the Ethernet is dead on the ML1400, or could it be that you are having difficulty setting it up

The key to flashing is:
1) Set PROGRAM mode on PLC, not via software.
2) Use a cross-over cable, and go VIA Ethernet port for MicroLogix 1400. MUST use DF1 (serial port) for MicroLogix 1100 processor.
3) Make sure RSLinx is not running. Go to System and make sure it isn't running in the background.

I just flashed 4 Micrologix 1400's from FRN 10 or FRN 15 to FRN 21 without issue.