Installing FactoryTalk View Studio

RedwingRazor

I am the only one on the job site that has FactoryTalk View Studio version 9.0. Everyone else is using 8.1. I am the one to be making PanelView changes. The main question I have is if I uninstall version 9.0, will my license remain intact so I can install version 8.1 from disc? Thank you in advance for your time.

Yes.

Note that you can create v8.1 runtime (.mer) files using v9.0, so there may not be a need to do so. The only thing is, if you make a change and then create an archive (.apa) file, the others will not be able to restore it on v8.1. However, you may be able to work around that by instead generating a v8.1 runtime (.mer) file, and having them restore that (restore runtime application) instead, at which point they can generate their own v8.1 .apa files if they wish.

Well worth a try, before you place yourself at the mercy of the FTView installation gods.

I was under the impression that if using version 9 to create a version 8.1 runtime, that you had to have version 9 to open it. But you're saying that is only true with the archive (apa) files?

Good lord, please do not try to downgrade FactoryTalk View Studio ME. Unless things have changed, and I doubt they have, you will regret trying to downgrade.

The person running 8.1 will typically be able to restore and edit your application as long as you made the runtime targeted for 8.1 (pay attention to the selections when you make the runtime). The only exception that I have ran into is if you use activex controls in your application.

I was kinda scared to downgrade because of issues installing any Rockwell software. That's why I put this out there in the beginning. I have never used ActiveX controls in any application, so I'm not sure how to identify any ActiveX controls. I just found out everyone else is using 8.0 instead of 8.1

The same philosophy applies whether they're using v8.0 or v8.1.

The most reliable way to see if there are any ActiveX controls is to try creating a v8.0 .mer file with your v9 FTView Studio, and then have the others try to restore it using v8.0. If there are any relevant ActiveX controls, they'll get an error message, and you'll know you're stuck.

I'd proceed this way:
1. Upload existing .mer files from all HMI's, store in a backup folder
2. Restore all .mer files into your v9 machine
3. Make a small change to each program and generate new v8.0 .mer files
4. Have someone try to restore all of your modified .mer files into their v8.0 studio
5. If step 4 worked with no errors, you're home and hosed. Go ahead and make all your changes on v9 and rejoice
6. If step 4 did not work, install v8.0 on a clean VM/machine and use that to make changes to the problematic files. Do not attempt to downgrade