RS Linx communication problem

tonycam1

I am having a problem connecting to a SLC 5/04. I am using a 1747-UIC RS232 to USB. When I open linx it shows the driver and the uic-1747. The USB light is on steady and the DH485 light is off on the 1747-UIC. Any help getting this to connect would be great.

Are you sure your 5/04's serial port is configured for DH485? They are not configured that way by default, DF1 is default and the UIC will not work when it is configured for DF1. If you have an offline program and you are confidant that it is up to date, you can check the port configuration.

If it has been sitting on the shelf and not being used . Then clear the memory, this will return the serial port to it default DF1 protocol. See pdf's for how to.

In general, a defaulted SLC-5/04 serial port is configured for DF1 Full Duplex at 19200 baud.

For that connection, you need a general-purpose RS-232 serial port. I recommend the TrippLite USA-19HS. Connect with a "null modem" cable like the 1747-CP3, and use the default settings in the DF1 Full Duplex driver.

The 1747-UIC is great at doing what it does: connecting to DH485 networks. But it's not the right tool for other protocols, including the default DF1 Full Duplex protocol.

Autoconfigure does not not work with all USB to serial adapters. Try setting RSlinx up manually.

CH1 - DH+( 57.6 Kbaud )CH0 - DF1 Full Duplex 1200 Baud, N, 8, 1, CRC
DH485( 19.2 Kbaud )SLC5/05 CH0 -DF1 Full Duplex 19.2 KBaud, N, 8, 1, CRC
Note: SLC 5/03 OS302 FRN 11 , SLC 5/04 OS401 FRN 8 or greater Channel 0 Defaults
to 19.2KBaud

What cable are you using with the USB adapter? (your Belkin) you will need to use a null modem or as Ken said a 1747-CP3

My favorite book on troubleshooting: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q6ZWB1O/

A steady red FLT LED on an SLC-500 modular controller is an indication of an unrecoverable fault. Only the self-diagnostic low level elements of the operating system are running, and no communications with the controller is possible.

If you have followed the directions to disconnect the battery and drain the controller memory, and the FLT indicator remains steady red when you power up the controller, then the controller is faulty and must be repaired or replaced.

It's very likely that if you found it on the shelf, it's because somebody put it there expecting to get it repaired, and never did so. Or, they bought it as a spare on the gray market and never tested it.